Road Trip: KY to AK and back

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KYWinger

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So here's the question -
Some guys in my GWRRA Chapter are planning a camping trip to Alaska and back in the summer of 2014 and I'm mulling over the idea of going. Almost all of them ride 1800's and have the fancy motorcycle camper trailers, while lil ol' me will be on a 30 year old 1100 pulling a HF trailer and using a tent.
The question is this - am I opening myself up for disappointment and failure with such an undertaking?It's still quite a way off, but I need a reality check from y'all on the the reasonableness of such a thing.....
lemme know whatcha think, OK? :thanks:

an 83 1100 in good working order is a great touring bike ...id be sure everything was up to par id go around world one if it wasnt for the water ... its not the tractor semi the 1500 is or sport tourer the 1800 is ...it is a diet dresser by todays standards and i think just right ..id be feeling rather good about the trip with the big dollar big bike boys

If you think those 1800 will out do you 1100, guess again. Make sure that the maintenance on the bike is done correctly and enjoy the ride. Probably the biggest problem you would have will be tires. As far as sleeping accommodation - I'd take a tent to any tow behind camper: just the way I like it.

Once that 1100 gets on a road trip, you are gonna go and go and go! That is what these bikes were built for LONG before there were 1500's and 1800's! My only suggestion leading up to this ride would be doing lots of seat time in preparation for the long hours in the saddle. :shock:

Once I added a back rest from Utopia, I found the comfort level really went up. I added highway pegs so I can stretch my legs and that helped too. I'm using a mechanical throttle lock to help ease the cramps - electronic cruise control is just too $$$ for my blood.

Cramp Buster.....absolute must have! Throttle locks are only good for straight roads. With a cramp buster on your throttle, no arm, wrist or hand pain! I use one all the time and have taken a 2800 mile round trip and would not do it any other way!

Attachments

• Cramp Buster.jpg
    Cramp Buster.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 162
Let's take a look at the reality of making such a trip.

Google maps says it's about 4,000 miles and 70 hours.
(They average it to 60 mph I guess)

So that's each way.

Think on this what it would be like to make this trip in a car.
The longest car trip I've done was Ca. to Fl. in a van with a cushy ride.
Google says 2,800- 40 hours for that trip and I was DONE.

The longest trip I've made on the 1100 was to Phoenix AZ.
That short run felt much like the Florida drive though I'm about 20 years older now.

Really, it's up to you and your endurance.
I have no doubt with proper maintenance before and during the trip your bike will make it.

Very jealous for your planned trip---This is one of my bucket list trip.

I am sure you will do fine with your GL1100. Start with new tires and anticipate issues and have appropriate $$ budget for on the road fixing. How much time are you setting aside for this?

Choose 'like minded' riders and you will have a blast!

Simba

When I took my trip to Ohio and then out to see Joe in Indy, as long as I stopped every 3 hours or so (about each tank of gas) the trip went well. I did use the sheepskin on the seat and that help fatigue a lot. I have also learned to remove a small section of the sheepskin at the tailbone which prevents prevent pressure there. I was riding about 11 hours a day.

I think your 83 will eat that road for breakfast. I think your 83 has enough luggage space for one person on such a trip, assuming you can still bungee onto the trunk rack and passenger seat. But if you want to pull a trailer, I suppose everything will fit in there. In a campground I have to have an airbed and a pee jug.

I envy you and wish I would've done something like that when I could. Now days 150 miles kicks my ass and it takes me 2 days to recover from that.

Please send pictures.

As said the bike should do fine.And if it dont,it will be easier and cheaper to repair than a newer one.
Also as said,like minded riding parteners are a must.Any trip is to far if you are not all on the same wave link.

Dan compared a bike trip to a car but I dont agree (sorry dan) when I am traveling in a car its to get there only,and I cant get there fast enough.Give me a highway,point me in the right direction and 80mph bored out of my mind.But on a bike,I take the scenic routes avoiding most highways,stop and eat a large brunch in some cute little podunk town,stop at the sites and call it a day around 4:00 or 5:00 looking for another local grease spoon for a good dinner and a hotel with a pool.I am not setting any time records but I enjoy every mile.

Its not the getting there,its the ride that I enjoy so much.

Tory":3u1v1g87 said:
As said the bike should do fine.And if it dont,it will be easier and cheaper to repair than a newer one.
Also as said,like minded riding parteners are a must.Any trip is to far if you are not all on the same wave link.

Dan compared a bike trip to a car but I dont agree (sorry dan) when I am traveling in a car its to get there only,and I cant get there fast enough.Give me a highway,point me in the right direction and 80mph bored out of my mind.But on a bike,I take the scenic routes avoiding most highways,stop and eat a large brunch in some cute little podunk town,stop at the sites and call it a day around 4:00 or 5:00 looking for another local grease spoon for a good dinner and a hotel with a pool.I am not setting any time records but I enjoy every mile.

Its not the getting there,its the ride that I enjoy so much.
I'm with ya there Tory! It isn't how fast you get there, it is the joy of the ride! :clapping: :music2:

I'm just picked up my 83 GL 1100 a few weeks ago - so I am not an authority on the bike. However, me and my mutts made the trip from Syracuse, NY to Willow, AK and back - then back, again by car....I entered Canada through ND and went up through Saskatchewan - the AL/CAN highway (yellow trail, I believe). Long, flat well maintained roads all the way up through British Columbia - nothing really remarkable. Well, except maybe...the wild bison in Britsh Columbia. The heard runs wild and they like to sleep on the warm road tarvia when the sun goes down. Be careful driving late in the day - low light + dark road + heard of bison laying there....you don't see them...can't stress this enough. I would pay close attention to suspension travel if you are carring a heavy load. The northern section of BC is not real bad - but I remember some areas of the Yukon and especially Destruction Bay where the roads were prehistoric. That said, you will have to investigate - doubt I am telling you anything you don't know. Simple break/fix repairs aren't so simple if no one has the parts? I was laid up for 3 days waiting for a tie-rod to be express shipped up from British Columbia. More time to enjoy the company of your fellow man. The farther north you go, the farther apart towns, gas, etc become. Know where the next gas station is - I'm not exactly sure what range on your bike is...I enjoyed the Yukon more then AK. Check out Whitehorse, Yukon...nice town. Have fun!