Rode the old Zuk GS450, WOW does it feel small!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck c

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm selling the old Suzuki GS450L for my neighbor who bought it from me 2 years ago. I put a few thousand miles on that thing. Those GS bikes run forever. Anyway, I've been riding the Kawa 600 Eliminator for a couple years and in the last couple weeks putted around on the Goldwing. I knew that GS450 was too small for me. I weight in the high 200s. I must have looked ridiculous riding it. Now it feels like a bicycle compared to the wing! Did I really ride on the PA turnpike on that? My wife says the Goldwing is the first I've owned that looks right for me.

Attachments

• IMGP0068.JPG
    IMGP0068.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 328
It's a really nice old bike. The crash bars and cargo box were removed and different handlebars put on. The chrome and even aluminum look great. That's a 1980 with lots of life left in it.

The old GS line was bombproof all the way up to the big boys. I rode a 1980 GL1000 for several years after selling MY Eliminator.

...speaking of Eliminators. This was my 2nd '85 ZL900. First one I bought new and sold in '89. Second was just because - it was nice and I wanted it for "old time's sake".

Unfortunately, I got rear-ended at a light and it was totaled. The 900 was special. Incredible character.

Attachments

• 2011-10-29_16-46-36_110.jpg
    2011-10-29_16-46-36_110.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 252
  • 3414.jpg
    3414.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 249
My 600 is a screamer- at least, it goes as fast as I'm willing to ride anything! What did surprise me is its very good handling and comfort. It handles the twisty country roads I prefer very well for a cruiser and I can rode for hours without a numb bum. I bought it wrecked to fix it and flip it with no intent to keep it, but that was 3 years ago. I really like it but I need to sell it to buy another car.

I loved my GS400. Took it all over the eastern US. I have attached a picture of it just off the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Cakalackie loaded to the gills. Mt Mitchell in the background. Never missed a beat. PA, Nags Head, Biloxi. Rooster fairing with tunes, queenie seat. God, I loved that bike.

Bikes%204_zpsj9keiw4n.jpg

My wife bought one for her first and last bike. She high throttled it( classic mistake ) on our first ride together. Took off from an unlevel driveway and it snapped wrist back to wide open. Hit a telephone pole guy wire and two parked cars. It's a wonder I didn't have a heart attack when it happened. She had just finished her rider course. Got a big bruise on her leg and wound up with a huge scoop of meat having to be removed from her right leg due to the bruise and a staph infection. I took the bike home after the wreck with very little damage to it. Bent a few things,shifter,clutch lever etc. As you say it feels like a bicycle if you're used to a big bike. Performance wise it is a screamer. Once the revs get up it will pull like a tractor.
Sadly it ended her riding career as she tried a few times to ride it by herself and was too afraid. I came home one day and she had sold it.
It might be small but it's got a ton of power for its size!