Runing on two cyclinders

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpwinger

Reaction score
Help I,m a new menber I just love this site. I have a 1980 gl1100 W/califorina side car. I think I have Carb problems. I think it is runing on 2 cyclinders. rebuilt carbs with aftermarket kits. Not the ones I should have used. Not randaks!!!!!! Runs on left bank. when I pull wires off right bank very little change. Also right side runs cooler than left. Left side heats up much faster. when wire are pulled on right side you can hear spark and can see good blue spark. Geting good gas to carb. Also when sinking with gage a around 3 to 4 Inches of vac . Bench tested by test tank when up sidedown gas was shut off when rightside up gas flowed . Changed coils and rest of electronis no change Help Please excuse spelling!!!!!!

Pull the drain plugs on the right carbs to verify fuel has reached them. It seems the fuel rail feeding the right side might be plugged.

if your talking carb test ...1 take bowl drains out and hook gravity feed gas to it ...i have a small lawnmower tank i use ....and see if gas runs out of every bowl about the same time carbs being right side up ...if that happens good ....then put drains back in and let the carbs fill up with gas ...they sould stop when floats raise all the way up ....let it sit this way for and hr to see if theres leakage here ...these are good first test on carb racks.....other sorces of not running good on one side is timing belt off time a tooth or two ...this is serious and sould be looked into if spark gas are present and still wont run right ....if the bike is new to you ...you sould check the timing belts period for being right in my opinion ...always one of the first things i do....good luck

Thanks for the reply so soon!!!!! Bike is new to me it sat for a long long time in a garage. I have not checked the timing belts yet. Spark is present on both sides but not a strong blue. It is red and blue both. Rechecked it tis afternoon it will run on each side with plugs out on the other side. I have a 82 parts bike and used the elictronics from it cdi,s black box and coils . New plugs and spark plug ends.

Worked on the old gril today pulled faring seat and false tank freshened up spark plug wires at coil then try to re sink carbs left bank at 9 in vac but right bank at 15 in vac useing barrcude gauges. what could cause the differance from side to side ???????

jpwinger":2qqb96q7 said:
Worked on the old gril today pulled faring seat and false tank freshened up spark plug wires at coil then try to re sink carbs left bank at 9 in vac but right bank at 15 in vac useing barrcude gauges. what could cause the differance from side to side ???????

The left and right pair of carbs are not in sync.

When you sync,
sync the right pair together then,
sync the left pair together then,
sync the left pair to the right pair.

The manuals say to use number 3 as a reference vacuum.
Although this is almost correct it doesn't actually work that way with these carbs since the adjuster at the number 4 carb is used to sync the left to the right bank.

Thanks for the reply I will try that tomorrow. I think you mean use adjuster for #2 carb to sink left bank the use adjuster on #4 to sink to right bank to left bank. Is that what you meant. Again thanks for the reply

jpwinger":14zea0kr said:
Thanks for the reply I will try that tomorrow. I think you mean use adjuster for #2 carb to sink left bank the use adjuster on #4 to sink to right bank to left bank. Is that what you meant. Again thanks for the reply

Correctamundo!

Thanks Dan for the reply. It worked runs alot better now and runs alot quiter now. I think my pulse generator is out when you pull vac line there i s no change. I have one from 82 parts bike that responds to vac pump does any one know if it will fit 1980. Put faring false tank and seat back on . THEN WENT TO PUT FLASH LIGHT BACK IN TRAY KEY WILL NOT FIT IN TANK LOCK AND I NEED TO PUT GAS IN . IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO OTHER THAN CHANGE LOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED WORKED FINE ALL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP THANKS TO ALL

Useing pb blaster and it is the right key used it off and on all day . what do I do to free it up so key will go in lock

I had problems after I rebuilt my carbs also. I was on another forum and a gentleman told me to take the spark plugs out of the two cyls and put oil in the cyls because too much gas caused no compression and would'nt let them fire. It worked great.

Bike is running a lot better with proper carb sink. May have problem with pulse generator. No change when vac line pulled off carb. Also no change when carb vac port and vac line is pluged.does any one know if pulse generator is working and how do you tell. Not real comforable about droping swing arms. Looks like I will have to pull shelther to replace lock!!!!!!! It seems to always be some thing.!!!!!!! Need to fine replacement lock didn"t want two keys but oh well. Just put it all back together again!!!!!!!!! I think part of cyclinder came loose and is in bottom of cyclinder air pressure won,t free it may truning it up side down will work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope cy cle recycle has one at a good price.

gee that sucks ...on the vacume advance it dosent make a whole lot of change ...but if you have a vacume hose hooked to it you can use your mouth to see if it moves and check to see if its good.....the 1100 ignition also has mechanical advance on it too a very nice ignition setup when working right ....the ignition plate could be stuck and not moving freely ...this wouldnt be uncommon thing for a bike sitting a long time or just old like oldwings are ....it is the pits where its at ....to work on ...good luck on it being good but if not we can help you get at it ...ive done it many times.

Thanks ..Joedrum for the infor.Bike runs farily well maybe should just leave alone??? Also haveing trouble with rear breaks I think it is the rear master cyclinder. Just recived used master cyclinder rear caliper and rear brake line from e bay Seller said they worked But both are froze!!! Air pressure will not move them. Yes I kept my finger out of the way this time. Hear we go again. This bike sat in garage for 14 years so a real headache but I will get it if it takes me all winter. hard to find good used parts. But need good brakes for my hack!!!!!!I think I have learned to work on bike in Winter and ride in summer!!!!! I think I will need more advice!!!!! Wish I knew about this site.. along time ago. My 77 sat along time also 5 yrs but looks almost new. Now its very dependable. Thanks again for the reply

Latest posts