Say a prayer...for my @^#%$&@#% starter....

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure to clean those grounding tabs reall good down to remove any arc flash, same where they contact the housing.
I bent the tabs slightly so they get compressed real good for a good ground path when assembling.

Out of curiosity, you are just cleaning up the starter and replacing the brushes? Is there normally anything else that needs to be done with these starters? I have two spares; my '81 and '82. The '81 on the engine right up to the tear down. The '82 sat on the bike out in the weather for 12 years. I would like to have them both available for backup.

I just did mine yesterday.
Left side engine guard, muffler, and shifter needed to come off (because there were two mounting bolts in mine I guess..)

The brushes had spec length (0.5 inch) but commutator didn't clean up as shiny as yours...
Didn't know that back plate before the planetary gears came off..

Nice cleanup job!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97948#p97948:1xeef1vw said:
mcgovern61 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:19 pm[/url]":1xeef1vw]
Out of curiosity, you are just cleaning up the starter and replacing the brushes? Is there normally anything else that needs to be done with these starters? I have two spares; my '81 and '82. The '81 on the engine right up to the tear down. The '82 sat on the bike out in the weather for 12 years. I would like to have them both available for backup.

Gerry there is a tutorial somewhere that gives a step by step for reading out a starter armiture to see if the winding are good or not. there are also instrauctions for resurfacing the copper end where the brushes ride at if they are worn too much. Problem is that I can't seem to find it right now.

Yep, same problem here, I know I've read and seen the pictures of a grounding wire mod they say makes them starters work great but I can't find it, you drill the side of the starter and tap it and run a ground wire from the ground brush to a screw in that tapped hole and the starter is not relying on the three little tabs on that plate for ground, and they usually end up getting corroded and fail. I read it done on an 1100 but the only one I can find right now is on the cx500 forum, same basics, you just have to know where to drill the hole so the wire won't be in the way when it's assembled.

If you use the kit that Steve suggested then you now have new connections on a shiny plate good for another 20 years :yes:

Wull....the latest am...I still be waitin fer the brushes to git here. They were in Coppell EARLY yesterday, then Dallas later....with an expected delivery date of.....OCT 7?!?!? Wth? I live aboot 5 minutes from the main Dallas Post Office(where my parts are now)....and it's gunna take them 5 more days to deliver it to me door? I could WALK there in an hour 1/2.... :rant: Part of the delay is UPS passed it off to the USPS... :crying:
I actually hope they git to me today..... :beg:

ship.JPG

Wow that sux..
USPS has been fairly quick. Only a few days from East cosat to West coast (by air I guess).
Much quicker than similarly priced UPS/Fedex ground.

Incidentally I am waiting for my oldwing battery to arrive..
(The one I had before stator gone dead apparently died also...)

I guess UPS doesn't deal with small mail type packages. They parts were originally shipped via UPS, and then they went to a UPS "Mail" delivery service, then to the USPS.... :whistling:

th

It's ALIVE!!!!!! ALIVE!!!!

:yahoo:
Got the brushes today. I walked into the garage at 8pm to put the starter back together, and came back in the house at 9pm, finished...including takin pics of the re-assembly, and a short video of the first start. Dang thing acted like it had a magnet attached to it, because it just pulled itself right back into the engine...no wiggling or nuttin. I used a small mirror to position the gear on the chain in the opening, and the starter slid right in..easy-peasy! :clapping: Hooked up the wire, hit the key, and the durn thing fired right up!
I'll post the pics and vid tomorrow....it's nappy time!! :lazy: :lazy:

Latest posts