Seafoam Fuel System Cleaner

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54Greybeard

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read about Seafoam fuel system cleaner on another site. My 82 Aspencade had an off idle bog, as long as I held the throttle in this position the engine stutter. This is also the same positon I hold the throttle at 50 mph cruise. Idle was bad until fully warmed up, at which point it would idle but not happily. I clipped the tabs off ot the pilot screw limiter tabs and turned them a full turn out. This helped the idle tremendously, especially when cold, however, still had the stuttering. Put a full 16 oz. of Seafoam in tank, filled tank with fuel. Road 157 miles to Milford, Delaware and back. She's cured! Found out that reserve does not work, I can see rust in the tank and I suspect the screen in the tank for reserve is clogged with rust. Not sure what I'll do about that.

Seafoam IS some good stuff. I keep a can of it in my fairing pocket, and add a bit every 3-4 tank-fulls. It has certainly helped with my idle, and has smoothed out/eliminated a small cruise speed vibration. I'll also run a little ATF in the tank every now and then, but not consistently. :mrgreen:

Be careful...if you see rust in the tank and you cannot use reserve, than more junk is going to end up in your filter and carbs! The reserve is not a separate tank, just a lower suction!

Seafoam is great stuff but nothing will clear and burn away the rust. Time for a tank clean and new fuel filter.