Selling a motorcycle on Craigslist.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scdmarx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1982 Standard
The first response from this person was to ask if it's still available. After I said yes, I get this resopnse about an hour later.

"Thank you for getting back to me. Can you assure me that it's in good condition and that i will not be disappointed with it. i will love to buy this item.i want to be the best offer by adding $100 to your money then keep other offers off,where i am i don't have access to my bank account and i have access to my paypal account.I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank account attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address so i can make the payment asap for the item and if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to https://www.paypal.com and get it set up , after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the item up after i have made the payment. Get back to me in time."

Wants to buy the "item" sight unseen, wants to give me $100 more than I'm asking, will send somebody to pick it up, and will deposit cash into my paypal account just as soon as I can give them my registration email.

See any RED FLAGS here? :fishin:
At least the Engrish is readable. :party:

Real hard to tell.

I listed a Honda 250 atc a long time back, wasn't eBay or CL but can't remember where.
An English guy called telling me the same thing and his "agent" would come out and give me cash.
Different deal than yours, he handed me cash but my point is the deal was that he bought a bunch of stuff to fill a container and ship to the UK to sell where they don't have them.

Yours could be legit but it sure reads fishy.
These scams take advantage of greed, figuring you'll fall for it.

I'd check with 1060dsl, he does A LOT on eBay and PayPal and knows all the rules to protect yourself.

My son sold an Xbox 6 weeks ago.
Last week the charge was disputed and the jerk was refunded his money. Luckily my boy had everything documented and PayPal gave him the money. It's got me thinking PayPal is way too risky.

Be very careful and know the rules.

Run Forest...RUUUUUN!!!!! :shock:
He wants you to assure him he will be happy with it?
Mentions not having access to his bank account several times.
Wants YOUR paypal email.
And lastly...is going to automatically pay you more than the asking price.
I can smell that scam all the way over here..... :rtfm:

AApple":24da74l6 said:
Wants YOUR paypal email.
+1 :popcorn:

scdmarx":2ydjhr5l said:
Why would I give these idiots my phone# too?
Because you eliminate all the scammer who want access to your accounts via internet transactions.
I've bought and sold a lot of stuff on CL and every time I post with my Email intact, I get the same Email that you've recieved.

I have no idea what this scam is or how works but I got the same email after listing my '85 Shadow. "I will love to buy this item" never mentioning the "item" by name and "my agent will pick it up". The asking price was no problem sight unseen, all he wanted was my Pay Pal email address.
I actually replied to the email and never heard anything else. My reply was "Take your scam somewhere else"

slabghost":n21zuexy said:
AApple":n21zuexy said:
Wants YOUR paypal email.
+1 :popcorn:

I run into this scam all the time - the next step is he will tell you that he has to have it shipped and they will need to be paid first. And can you forward the money and he will add it to the total with a bonus for you :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

The real bonus is something you might not like so well :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: report it as a scam and possibly save the next guy the hassle.

Oh you should see the paypal payment he sends - looks real (if you overlook the address)

Doesn't have access to his online bank account but has access to PayPal (ONLINE???) which so happens to have access to his online bank account????

RUN AWAY.........RUN AWAY............ :smilie_happy:

It is ofcourse a scam,I get the same one with everthing I sell on CL using my Email.
They never mention what the "ITEM" is.

Now,I run the add blocking my email,and type it in the add spelling out the @ as "AT" seems to weed out the spam.
Dont like to give my phone numbers.

It's a scam, one of my coworks replyed to the same type of scam. He was smart enough not to fall for it and didn't lose anything other than time.

It just amazes me that some people are such crooks, and that trusting souls get burnt by them.

So how does this scam work? they get you're Paypal account and what? do they try using it or what? Something just don't sound right to me, I'd have them come in person and pay in cash...

littlebeaver":2vfpl9cq said:
So how does this scam work? they get you're Paypal account and what? do they try using it or what? Something just don't sound right to me, I'd have them come in person and pay in cash...

I don't need to know, so I'm not willing to waste any more time on it.

littlebeaver":2e9yltae said:

Ususally they say they are somewhere they can not access the bank - last time it was on an oil rig :smilie_happy: give him an ``A`` for creativity. Most of the ones I run into they find they can not get the shippers to pick the bike or car up without being paid first so they ask you to send money. Other times they pretend to pay with Paypal (the email looks very genuine) hopeing you either ship the item (as my dough headed neighbour did) or send the shipping money to the western Union account, when you hover the mouse over their email you see the real email address. Last couple of times I strung the guy along and along - must have sent him 150 emails asking for him home address so that I can complete the transaction. It was like a game I kept asking and asking so that he keeps responding and of course I forwarded all the emails to the fraud people at PayPal spoof at paypal.com.