She Runs! (1956 Chris Craft that is...)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a bike forum first, but I did want to do a follow up on getting our boat in the water this year. I did use the "Slug" as often as possible to tow her trailer and my tools back and forth from the boatyard as I worked.

Splash day Saturday June 29! Minor leak in the stern quarters that swelled up in an hour. We launched locally 1 mile form the boatyard and decided to take a shakedown trip via the Maurice River from Milville, NJ to Delaware Bay and then to Cape May. We were slightly delayed due to some engine issues (Carb related even after rebuild). The carb was not letting the engine go full RPM under load, but we were committed to getting to our dock in Cape May, NJ.

Our trip down the River was nice (hot) until Dorchester, NJ when we got attacked by greenhead flies! They were relentless and they stay with us attacking the balance of the way down to the bay. We were so relieved to get to the open water and the flies finally gave up.

Winds were 15 knots SW so a little 1-2 ft chop. 1 hour into our trip down Delaware Bay, a squall rose up behind us. No weather warnings received. The winds kicked up to 60-75 MPH in about 2 minutes! In 20 minutes the waves behinds us rose from 2 ft to 6 ft. Before we knew it, the seas were over 9 ft from astern and we were starting to broach. Too far to go back in any direction, we turned into the seas, dropped our speed and held on. Nothing like a steady diet of 7-9 ft seas, 75 MPH winds, white caps frothing over the waves, and seas crashing over the top of the boat.

In my mind, I was pretty sure this was not the weather you wanted to be in with a 1956, 24' semi-enclosed wooden boat! Folks, it got pretty bad. We called a MAYDAY to the USCG. They could not pick up our radio well enough to understand our position. My Wife, between hanging on for dear life and wedging herself between the dash and her seat, texted our daughter who was waiting for us at the dock to contact USCG. At that point, waves were washing over the top of the canopy head on into our windows. USCG put out PAN-PAN for a vessel in distress. (One of the worse feelings in the world is to hear PAN-PAN over your radio and to hear the name of your boat broadcast as the vessel in distress as you look over and see your Wife clinging on with all her might as the seas are crashing over your boat!)

The first USCG rescue boat went out and turned back because the weather was too severe for them. The second boat (much larger rescue vessel) headed out, was within a 1/2 mile from us and could not find us on two radars or visually because the seas were too high and the rain was blocking visibility. (Shows you that a 24' wood boat is not big enough to be seen by radar in those seas!)

On the back end of the squall, we could see daylight about 10 miles off and I knew the rain and wind would settle down. Also, the current in the bay was changing to ebb which could knock down the seas. As the squall passed, the seas became confused approaching in two directions. They dropped to a 5-6 ft swell and the USCG Cutter called out to us by radio. Still could not find us, but I could now see them. I hit them with our newly relocated (to the cabin top) Ivalite spotlight. They tried to come alongside. No dice.

With the seas running 5 ft and no more 8 ft swells rolling in from Delaware, I decided to turn back towards Cape May and head down the Bay. The USCG Cutter followed. He called and saw how bad the seas were twisting the boat, but could see me steering a straight a course possible.

An hour later, we reached the entrance to Cape May Canal. The seas were still pushing us sideways even entering the jetties. 20 minutes later, we were safely tied up at our slip in Cape May. A USCG Boarding Team was waiting (along with our wonderful daughter Leah and her friend Samantha!) We had a tearful reunion! The boat was fine. We were shaken, but safe! No injuries or damage! We thanked God many times!

By trade, I worked as a commercial Captain and have been caught in bad weather at sea before (up to 30 ft seas on a 165' ship). That was on steel vessels. This squall caught everyone off guard (USCG told us they did not even get a NOAA warning, only the normal thunderstorm type weather warning.) No one expected 75 MPH winds.

Chris Craft has built a fine boat. She came through weather you would never imagine pushing a little 24' semi through. The bullnose, while a cool look on these boats unfortunately works like a bulbous bow when large waves hit. It makes the bow smoother allowing the bow to dip fully under, but that flare at the toe rail retains buoyancy and pushing right back up.

On Sunday morning, we were thanking God, resting and took the day off!

image.php

image.php

Motorcycling is much safer Gerry. You can always park up out of the weather. Seriously glad to see that all your experience was able to turn a disastrous situation into a memorable one. :good:
As you well know weather is totally unpredictable and our local Morton Bay has caught many unsuspecting boaties out when it turns. I hope this experience makes you both realise what a great “little” boat you have. :salute:

2020 season begins with our old girl. Covid 19 set the work schedule back by 2 full months with no access to the boat. We had the Grandkids up from Virginia and they were looking forward to a boat ride, but I could not finish the work in time. So, they helped get the boat ready at the boatyard. 2 of my Granddaughters cleaned up the interior nicely:

image.php

They sure are ready to sail this old girl!

image.php

My 11 year old Grandson taped a straight line over the boot stripe and painted the bottom:

image.php

Last Saturday, I launched her and sailed down to Cape May!

image.php

Now I have to finish painting the Slug's engine and get her on the market!

Latest posts