She says I smell!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanlw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need oldwing experience, Help! :beg: Every time after running or riding my 1100 when I into the house my wife complains that I smell like gasoline. I think maybe unburned gas is being expelled thru the exhaust. I have tried 2 sets of 1100 carbs and a single carb and it still smells bad when running. Would this be caused by plug wires being bad or weak coils or both? I have changed the spark plugs twice and that didn't fix it. :head bang:

yep id say you nailed it ...the iggy is weak id say and needs updated .....plus you have to consider the gas isn't worth 10 cents a gallion let alone five....use atf it sould clean up the bike once clean it will do much better

[url=https://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=85339#p85339:2o6djej9 said:
slabghost » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:33 am[/url]":2o6djej9]Install the relay coil mod to give your iggy full power.
OK, you got me Slab. What is the relay coil mod?

Have you checked your gas cap? Fuel filter/hoses for leaks?
I smell raw fuel on mine every once and a while, but I know one of my float bowls is seeping slightly. Since you've changed carbs on yours several times, I would have to suspect a leaky hose, or the fuel cap....unless you have a small leak in the tank itself.... :yes:

Remove the power wire to coils and use that to activate a relay. Run a fresh wire from the battery terminal on the solenoid through a 30 amp fuse and the relay to power the coils.

[url=https://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=85343#p85343:3ebdahl9 said:
AApple » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:57 am[/url]":3ebdahl9]Have you checked your gas cap? Fuel filter/hoses for leaks?
I smell raw fuel on mine every once and a while, but I know one of my float bowls is seeping slightly. Since you've changed carbs on yours several times, I would have to suspect a leaky hose, or the fuel cap....unless you have a small leak in the tank itself.... :yes:
Yes sir, I already replaced all the hoses, filter and gas cap. The exhaust always smells really bad, too. The gas smell really permeates my clothes.

[url=https://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=85344#p85344:19fru00v said:
slabghost » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:01 am[/url]":19fru00v]Remove the power wire to coils and use that to activate a relay. Run a fresh wire from the battery terminal on the solenoid through a 30 amp fuse and the relay to power the coils.
OK, I think I can figure out how to do that... Maybe...

yes this is good way to go I do ...hooch is set up with relay but its not a cure all for bad wires and other stuff ...but is diffinitly part of overall updating the iggy ...the main thing in my book ...to much bs switches and safety stuff before the coils in the stock form ...with this mod all that stuff works but don't degrade the iggy system

[url=https://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=85357#p85357:ublm2s67 said:
dan filipi » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:29 am[/url]":ublm2s67]Have you thought maybe it's the road and exhaust stench from other cars you might be smelling?
After all, the bike exhaust is behind you.
:smilie_happy: Maybe, but yesterday, when I finally decided to listen to her complaint, I was just idling it in the driveway. It was only me and the bike. I was letting it idle and walking around checking lights and that sort of thing.... So I started thinking and that is always where the problems really begin. This time instead of throwing my limited cash flow at it, I decided it was time to ask the experts BEFORE I made a mess of things.

What I would try?
Since your smell is probably messed up after the ride, put the clothes you wore aside then after a couple hours smell them. If they're real gassy smell then it's probably coming from the bike but if just musty car exhaust smell then I'd think it's from the road.
Mine are pretty rank after a long ride.

I would pull the spark plugs and see if your running to rich on the carbs. I read where you replaced the known sources for leaks and you synced the carbs, did you also set the air/fuel mix screws ? When mine started to smell like that I had a vary small leak on the #4 float bowl, I could smell raw gas but until it started leaking at a higher rate, I couldn't find it because the air traveling across it and the heat from the engine kept the small leak evaporated off. Eventually it started to stain the paint on the engine case which led me to the leak. Check for a leak at the fuel petcock also, might have an o-ring seeping.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=85360#p85360:34yj8u09 said:
dan filipi » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:45 am[/url]":34yj8u09]What I would try?
Since your smell is probably messed up after the ride, put the clothes you wore aside then after a couple hours smell them. If they're real gassy smell then it's probably coming from the bike but if just musty car exhaust smell then I'd think it's from the road.
Mine are pretty rank after a long ride.
I just came home for lunch and did the sniff test on the clothes. I left them on an unused bedroom floor last night and they still have a pretty strong gas smell. The boss has complained about the smell a lot, even when i was just working on the bike. No riding involved. I thought she was kinda crazy and ignored it. Last night i started to smell it too. So here I am thinking she was right and I am just hard headed'

Then I'd start with checking the plugs like backlander suggested.
That will help narrow down the problem cylinder or carbs/ignition.

Worth mentioning.....I replaced my coils with GL1500 coils which give me a noticeably better spark and the exhaust does smell a lot less gassy.