shift problem

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmeyer

Reaction score
What gets out of adjustment on an 1100 that would cause it to not get into gear? I've had it do this before. If you are really getting on it and just flip it to the next gear rather than pull it all the way up it's like it gets caught between in a neutral between gears. When it happens I pull the clutch back in and make sure I pull the shifter all the way to the top. Not usually the end of the world but I'm sure it should do better. Bike has 120k on it. The nearest "good" Honda dealer told me last week he's seen these 1100's run into 300k with out problems.

Between 3rd and 4th gear there is a spot that is large enough that works like a neutral. My '81 engine used to do the same thing. Others have had the same issue. The only way I could avoid it was by not shifting too fast and pull the clutch all the way in.

I have run into this problem with other bikes also.....I have toren down dirt racing bikes to speck out the shifting forks and drums only to find out it was just a loose nut.........the one behind the wheel. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: It seams that when we get in a hurry a little toe slap is just that "A LITTLE TOE SLAP". :grin: :oops: A LITTLE MORE CONCENTRATION AND THE PROBLEM USUALLY GOES AWAY. THAT IS MY STORY AND I AM STICKING TO IT
:whistling: :whistling:

As noted above, I've had the same issue when getting it on a bit and not being precise. I have found that the oil I use appears to make a difference. I use Golden Spectro when I can find it, otherwise Shell Rotella.
Jim

not the slickest tranission on oldwings .....anytime your in the upper rpm zone you need to make possitive shifts ....the mongruel shifted horribly in high rpm and very low rpm compared to some bikes ....i just made it a point to shift possitive all the time ....down shifting could realy be something when you missed your spot ....not a strong point with wings ...it never bothers me ....when i ride my daughters bike i about cant beleave how easy it shifts.....but i love my wings :mrgreen:

Very common between 3rd and 4th. It's there between 4th and 5th also.

Something's up with mine for awhile now.
It will pop out of 4th on a long grade, sometimes right away but this may have something to do with having 83 gears in a 81 case.

I put a post on here once before about this . I have Owned a lot of different kinds of motor cycles. the Old Honda CB750 , SOHC motors for sure... all had an Easy to hit Neutral between 4th & 5th and so does my Goldwing. BUT..
of all the Bikes I ever owned I have only found that on a Honda.

sledge":2e5eyatm said:
I put a post on here once before about this . I have Owned a lot of different kinds of motor cycles. the Old Honda CB750 , SOHC motors for sure... all had an Easy to hit Neutral between 4th & 5th and so does my Goldwing. BUT..
of all the Bikes I ever owned I have only found that on a Honda.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1404&start=30
That would be the Thread...

Thanks for the input guys! Now I can show the wife that I am not crazy. Other people have the same problems. Thank You again for all the information.

I also have the same affliction on mine. Not every time, but if I happen to be on an on-ramp, getting up to speed, the 3-4 shift will not always go in...it's a bit frustrating, but apparently very common. I just wonder if they had the same problems new?
I have a heel/toe shifter, and sometimes the set-screw on the shift shaft gets a bit loose, and I know that has caused some missed shifts for me, but it's usually in every gear when that happens....

AApple":17rhfbww said:
I have a heel/toe shifter, and sometimes the set-screw on the shift shaft gets a bit loose, and I know that has caused some missed shifts for me, but it's usually in every gear when that happens....
I removed my heel toe shifter and went back to standard shifter just because of that. It tended to grind going into 3rd and 4th. Removed the heel toe shifter and worked much smoother.

What is the advantage of a heel/toe shifter. I've never had one but my brother swears if you use one you'll never go back?? I think it's just a preference??

They are, apparently, and acquired taste. My '81 had it when I bought it, so that's what I have. I think the design of the floorboards has more to do with the ease of use than anything. I have seen other heel/toe shifters that look more well thought out than the Markland set-up that I have. The heel/toe is the only way you can use the floorboards, I think. I don't know if the normal shift pedal would work with floorboards, since you wouldn't be able to downshift....thus the heel/toe shifter. I may be wrong on that...I'm just guessing.
The Electra-Glide I used to ride had boards but no heel/toe shift, but that's a different animal all together... :headscratch:

The heel to shifter, like beer, is an acquired taste like Joel said.

I tried one for awhile on mine and felt it was actually kinda dangerous because I couldn't shift as fast as I needed. Getting out of the way quickly is needed sometimes.

I have had damage to my left ankle, and have pins in it
so I use a heal toe shifter and floorboards. mostly for support on my ankle and shifting usually with my heal both up and down..
now that I have a couple years under my belt again, I may go back to the standard pegs and put some nice forward footboards on for cruise pegs.

vmeyer":1uvgdrdl said:
What is the advantage of a heel/toe shifter. I've never had one but my brother swears if you use one you'll never go back?? I think it's just a preference??
Most bikes with heel/toe shifters also have floorboards. On long trips, floorboards are very comfortable and they do give you a lot more leg room. The shifter can work real nice if the fit is tight. It is different than the usual 1 down and 4 up shifts because you tap down on the front (toe) part to down shift and use your heel to tap down for the up shifting. You never actually shift up anymore, just tapping down on the shifter. Takes a little getting used to, but on some bikes it is real nice.

I took mine off because my linkage was loose and it caused the shifting to grind or not go into gear correctly sometimes. Plus, I hda a tough time getting my feet around the floor boards when I came to a stop and almost dropped the bike a few times because I could not get my feet down flat (short legged dummy!). Plus, floor boards are lower than foot pegs and they will scrape as you lean into turns. (They are on hinges so that is okay) I prefer foot pegs and regular shifter personally.

Latest posts