Shinko 230 Tourmaster performance reports

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good suggestions. I've never noticed a handling difference with or without flaps but I suppose it's possible.

I had the same issue. Changed out the front bearings,slight improvement. The air pressure, never did go away till I traded it for a BMW.
I just never felt solid on it, part of why I sold it. Should have known it was tires.

Well...I'm certainly not going to sell it for a beemer just 'cause I don't like the tires. :headscratch:

I'll try more air in them first, then remove the flap if that doesn't make it better. If taking the flap off doesn't do anything, then I'll have to blame it on the tires.....just too "soft".
I wonder if the mud flap isn't acting like a "rudder" of sorts? If it IS, why the heck haven't others with the flaps had this problem? The problem is definitely worse the faster I go....
One way or 'nuther, I'll figure out what's causing it. :yes: :builder:

Joel I used the 230s for almost 2 years... running from Lavon to Richardson on a daily basis.. and towed trailer to Hanniba, MO.. this is on a similar set-up 81 interstate, 250ish.. wife occasionally, 2 toy runs, other charity run.. mine were solid.. maybe with the construction could it be oily film? .. now this was shortly after I first joined the board before the big computer collapse... just my input.. thoughts too

Check the date codes on your new tires so that we can get some indication of a possible faulty batch. If you can't see any obvious problems chase up your supplier and see if they can sort it out for you. The Rats Nest is going great with the new 230 on the rear even with sagged springs in the rear shocks. The only tire issue I have with the 230s is the front howls when I am cornering which I think is just the side block pattern finally getting some use. I want to put a new front on just to see if there is any improvement and I feel like I have had my money's worth out of it. Still plenty of tread left but it doesn't feel as smooth as I would like so possibly the case us a little bit out of shape. I have a new one waiting I just need to have some disposable income to spend on it :(

I hope Shinko has their heavy-bike tires figured out. About 6 years ago they were out for the 1800, and I put a pair on. Rear seemed good, but at 5000 miles of everything but interstate riding, the front developed blisters in the center - BIG ones! Noticed a front wobble near home and when I pulled in the garage had three palm-sized ~1/2" high blisters. Off they both came, and I went to 'stones. Running my 3rd Michelin Alpin RF on the rear and 'stone on the front, now. Shinko has a good rep with the sport bike guys, but the GL1800 guys find they can't carry the big girl.

this is something ....ever since i got my 79 oldwing ...my very first concern was ....the tires made at the time i needed them were just flat out junk ...and if that wasnt enough i watched as major manufactures actually cheapen the tires up that fit this bike ....now if joel had made this post about a car tire ...people all over would be saying ... buy a quality MC tire....sheeesh.... there really is no quality MC tires out there for these bikes .....and its all about rim size ... if the rim size was more like todays production bikes there are many tires out there that are great and a oldwing would perform great ... oldwing frames are as good as todays frame ...the oldwing in paticular is really great as the motor is structural and interweave in frame ....and all the blaming the frame and early tech is the reason for poor handling is pure BS

for what ever reason the tire manufacturers will not make quality for these bikes ... i am a good enough skilled person that this is totally obvious ... and also skilled enough to know the frame discounts are pure BS...when it comes to structural integrity im really hard to beat ....

there should be very discounting threads about how tire manufacturers are just providing sub par products ...actually dangerous products to a specialized market of bikes of a vintage bikes while all the new bikes get the best ....criminal in book

people who go car tire see this huge safety issue ... and take it upond themselfs to make there bikes safer or change rim sizes to something that a quality tire can be put on .. just to get slamed by the literature gurus who puke up the tire manufacturers BS safety concerns .......

i am always trying to make my oldwing safer and more reliable ....the complete bike is included ...witch includes tires .... :thanks:

Joel, I would be under the opinion that you ended up with tires that are a bit softer than expected. My friend with the 1800 had exactly the same issue with his Shinko's and while he could corner real well, he felt the bike was a bit unstable otherwise. He ate through the tires in under 5000 miles and decided that he must of had a bad set of tires because his previous set of Shinko's went for 10,000 miles.

Well it's apparent all over that manufacturing and quality control has gone to the dogs these days on many things as they try to reduce operating costs.
We can only assume Joel's problem is because of something like this since we have no hard facts.

I think what needs to be done is figure out which tire is causing the problem and while your at it triple check everything is bolted back on correctly and in the right order.
I find an odd feeling in the seat is caused by rear tire, in the bars/steering the front tire so which ever it is I'd put an old tire on that end and see what it does.

the obvious to me is ...shinko is rather new company ...they made really good tires till people started choosing them and now that they have a market ...quality went down to the leval of the tires they beat a few yrs ago from other companies .... seems like the same song over and over again .....the number on reason for poor handling is tires... by about 99 to 1 for other causes ... put model T tires on F1 racer and race with it against a station wagon with great tires ... and the F1 racer is going to loose the race ... most likely wreck trying to keep up with family car .....from tire failure :smilie_happy:sheesh race tires are very thin ...why if there to thick they come apart at 200mph+ .....these tires are the best cornering tire and grip tires there are ... there is no excuse for tires to perform so badly and be the most lifes involve :cheeky:

Ansimp":z0g439qs said:
Check the date codes on your new tires so that we can get some indication of a possible faulty batch.

BOTH tires have April 2014 dates.

mcgovern61":z0g439qs said:
Joel, I would be under the opinion that you ended up with tires that are a bit softer than expected.

I'm leaning that direction myself.

dan filipi":z0g439qs said:
I think what needs to be done is figure out which tire is causing the problem and while your at it triple check everything is bolted back on correctly and in the right order.
I find an odd feeling in the seat is caused by rear tire, in the bars/steering the front tire so which ever it is I'd put an old tire on that end and see what it does.

It's the front end that feels woozy. I've gone back over all of the fasteners and such to make sure nothing is loose/displaced. As ya'll know, this ain't my ferst rodeo with tires... :hihihi: I mount my own here at the house, and have done it many times before in the past. Even with radials, I've never felt the tire "squish" like this.
I will be doing some non-scientific testing to determine if it is an air pressure issue first, since it really seems to feel like the tires are low. But I may start with taking the mud flap off, since that is really the only variable that is different from any of the other tires I've put on this bike, other than the brand of the tires. Not gunna talk poo about Shinko or the quality of the tires since I don't know yet what the issue is. I think at this point the rubber compound is just too soft, but I have no facts to support my opinion.

Here are the tread depth specs for both before/after mounting:
Front: .185" un-mounted .160" mounted @40 psi
Rear: .312" un-mounted .300" mounted @ 45psi
The above pressures were what I put in them to seat the beads overnight and check the tread depth, NOT what I am running in them while riding.
Updates as they become available..... :thanks:

I really hope Joel that you have as positive outcome with the 230s as I and Mike and many others have. I really believe that I would be stressing my tires more than the majority of the members here as I seem to ride my GW as if it is my CBR and then there is the dreaded driveway. Yesterday I road all conditions ( even a light shower after lunch) mainly twisting secondary roads but there was about 20 mins of freeway and I think a couple of times over 80 mph. I couldn't fault my 230s in any way. :good: :moped:

Just in case you have forgotten about the dreaded driveway Joel :smilie_happy:
[video]https://youtu.be/9WghqiO9Afo[/video]
On Red at night and that is only the worst two thirds...
[video]https://youtu.be/8DJyA-eucmA[/video]
Some of yesterday's riding that is more upright on the Rats Nest :smilie_happy:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130553#p130553:iwzjyvop said:
Omega Man » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:46 pm[/url]":iwzjyvop]
Those Bridgestone S11s were the best tires I ever put on old girlfriend.
(22,000 on my front Bridgestone before replacing. Current Bridgestone rear pushing 8,000 miles and still looking new!) :hihihi:

Otay, so I pumped the pressures up front and rear 5psi each, so I'm at 37 front, 45 rear. Dint feel any noticeable difference in the weeble/wobble feeling to or from werk today. :fiddle:
Next "test" will be removing the mud flap. If that doesn't solve the problem, I'll just have to live with it....unless it flops over on me, in which case I'll die with it.... :smilie_happy:

I truly believe these tire are just too soft. Possibly a manufacturing issue, who knows. I may try to contact Shinko and see if they have any input....

Here's another thing...when I'm riding next to a cement divider/barrier wall, I can hear the tires "sticking"...sounds like velcro, only not as pronounced....

I would follow it up with the supplier/ manufacture Joel as this is nothing like my Shinko experience..

When I tried them on the 1800, there was no manufacture rep here, just an importer. I bought from Honda Direct Line, and they refunded my money for the failed front.

Latest posts