Shorten vacuum tubes?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
I want to leave these gauges connected for a test ride.
The rear vacuum tubes are very long and I just know I'm going to bump one and snap it off.

Has anyone cut these shorter?
There is a very tiny hole in the hose end I guess to regulate flow to make steadying the needles easier.
I'm wondering if I won't be able to get steady needles after cutting them.

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

You should be able to find short fittings to use instead. Maybe at the auto parts store or possibly the hardware store. That way you'll retain both for use. Tiny "C" clamps can be used as restricters temporarily. Clamped on the rubber tubing.

It sure looks like the holes are there to keep the vacuum under control. Although, the valves should do the same thing? Maybe the vacuum would be too high and collapse the hose if it was not restricted at the connection?

mcgovern61":ltebkuxv said:
It sure looks like the holes are there to keep the vacuum under control. Although, the valves should do the same thing? Maybe the vacuum would be too high and collapse the hose if it was not restricted at the connection?

I think the pressure difference will eventually equalize on both sides of the orifice, and the restriction is there to delay the response, eliminating the bouncing needle effect at the gauge.

I have the same guage set, the brass tube is actually internally threaded. The piece on the end has male threads on both ends, one end goes in the engine and the other goes into the tube. You could shorten it and re-thread it or replace it with another piece, it won't need the restrictor in the tube with the damper valves in the hoses.

You can buy new tubes from Sable, or you could cut a section out of the middle and use a small piece of rubber hose to splice them back together. swage one end and soldier the two halves together.

Sounds like a dangerous ride, trying to read those gauges while rolling down the road. Can you replicate road conditions by getting on a dyno? Then you would also learn how much hp you got at the rear wheel. :eek:

Arnold":2atv1pqb said:
Sounds like a dangerous ride, trying to read those gauges while rolling down the road. Can you replicate road conditions by getting on a dyno? Then you would also learn how much hp you got at the rear wheel. :eek:
Placed thoughtfully, they'd be no more dangerous than looking at all the other gauges.

No more dangerous than when I eat lunch, talk on the phone and key in my destination in the GPS while I steer the van with my knee.

Just kidding.
My life is more important than watching gauges instead of where I'm going.