siezed engine!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MElifestyle91

Reaction score
Hey guys, im stuck on my siezed engine. I was in the process of replacing the timing belts, and found out that my engine wont turn! This is my first bike, and turned previously, but now no luck. I look through the spak plug holes and saw one of my cylinders has rust, so i sprayed PB blaster in with some bike oil. Ive tried putting the bike in 5th and rocking the rear wheel in hopes of breaking it free. I also tried giving the front of the crank some help turning as well. Any suggestions are appreciated. I just want my beautiful bike on the road again.

Best thing for you right now is pull the heads and then free it up. If there is enough rust in there to hold it that tight further force may bust a piston ring and score the cylinder wall. Post up some pics and the folks here will advise what to do.

Il try to pull the covers off and get a good look at the heads, as well as send pictures. Hopefully, work permitting, il be able to do so tomorrow. Can ATF really make that much of a difference? I typically dont mess with siezed pistons, i just sell them off for someone else to screw with. I was able to turn the engine via the bolt on the back of the engine behind the aluminum cap about 6-8 months ago. It sat under a covered area with a sheet over over the carb, and a tarp over the rest.

welcome to the fun, :hi: atf is really good at cleaning & soaking all kinds of stuff :yes:

One step I have seen posted but not mentioned here was the following:

Pull the sparkplugs, and before you pour any ATF or spray PB blaster into the combustion chamber.

Remember this is a horizonally opposed flat four cylinder engine, spraying lube/penetrant inside it will mostly all run down to just the bottom of the rings/piston/cylinder wall area.

So to concentrate on more of the potentially corroded area, lay the bike on it's side and let penetrant soak overnight then do the same to the opposite side then try to turn engine.

If this doesn't work remove the heads.

it would damage me to do it ....if you dont want to take heads off ...those neat little red tubes that fit on pb blaster and others like it...can go into spark plug hole and follow piston and cylinder seam ....from there with timing belt covers off ..youi can put a wrench on the crank bolt ..nice long one and bump attack wrench with rubber hammer ....not super hard ...first one way the the other ...more spray to wash anything loose ...then repeat ..eventually it will start moving but never go with continuous torque always bump back and forth and spay ...success will come and no damge if you dont get foolish in my opinion

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164510#p164510:hwarhwju said:
MElifestyle91 » 52 minutes ago[/url]":hwarhwju]
Tilting it on its side wont do any damage to anything inside the engine transmission?

It absolutely won't damage engine or tranny. The only "possible" issue would be whether you can manage picking it up or not. I have layed mine over on a mat several times to do different tasks. Plenty of guys without lifts lay them over to remove the rear wheel etc.

It's worth mentioning that the timing belts should be installed and in proper time on the marks before trying to turn it.
I say this because in your first post you mentioned timing belts and thought maybe you might have removed them then tried to turn the crank. A piston could hit a valve while turning and damage it and also stop it from turning.

The way I unstuck mine was to use the sheathing stripped from a length of wire then attached it to the straw on a can of PB blaster then stuck it into the spark plug hole and with one hand spin it around while spraying it, the length of wire sheathing will coat the walls up and down as it spins around just make it long enough that if comes undone it wont disappear into the cylinder. Take off the valve covers to be sure no valves are stuck open once you get it turned, if it has been flooded and cylinders filled they can become stuck, or just sitting a long time may do it too.
Turn it clockwise from the crank front bolt then if it moves even a little go back and forth gently but firmly and spray more into the cylinders, don't need allot just a couple second spray per cylinder.
Good luck.

Old school, put in 5th gear & bump each way with rear wheel, won't possibly break stator bolt lose this way. :salute:

You found a great forum with experts to help, friendly too. I can't suggest what to do with your situation, not an expert, but reading the suggestions, they make sense. Good luck :BigGrin:

I finally had time to try putting atf and pb blaster to help free everything up, hopefully tomorrow I will be posting good news! Im hoping that school, work, family, and freak weather will allow me to get my bike back on the road because so far i havent had much luck! I also came up with a way to get the atf into the little hole the sparkplugs go into by modifying an old nose sucker we used to use for my son. It workd like a champ!

Attachments

• tmp_19726-20160109_204125-462155523.jpg
    tmp_19726-20160109_204125-462155523.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 214
  • tmp_19726-20160109_2029262026373197.jpg
    tmp_19726-20160109_2029262026373197.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 211
  • tmp_19726-20160109_2029281038135040.jpg
    tmp_19726-20160109_2029281038135040.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 211