Slime....

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecool

Reaction score
Hey friends, does anyone have any experience with a product for preventing flat tires called Slime? It's a green liquid that is used before a tire has problems and is supposed to coat the inside of the tire to keep it from going flat should one run over a small object like a nail. Was wondering if it causes any balance problems ?

I haven't tried it myself but it is reported to stay liquid and not change the balance. Personally I prefer to avoid such products.

45mph max??? Damn, I hit that coming out the driveway!! :)

A friend of mine used to work in a tire shop and tell me how much they hated it when people would need tire changes and would have all this goop in the tires. It's messy as hell if you have to work on them.

I have never used this stuff your talking about , but I worked in a Truck Stop Shop for many years , and all fix-a-flat kinda stuff I've ever seen is just like Piktureit said , one Hell of a mess , and even though it might get you in off the road once , the tire is pretty much history , because you can't get it cleaned out well enough to even put a Patch on the inside of the tire. . . . But, thats Just My Opinion . ( I carry a tire plug kit ) and a small air compressor with clips to hook to the battery .

I've used Slime in bicycle tires. I don't think it works as advertised. I have used Fix A Flat and it works everytime I use it. I warn the guys at the tire shops and they always say it doesn't matter. I don't do tires, so I don't know what it looks like inside.

We always took the truck tire off the wheel , remove whatever was IN the tire, grind a 3" spot smooth at the hole and put a Patch on the inside. but , some fixaflat looks like melted bubble gum all over the inside of the tire.... and... if you get fixaflat on fire , like lighting Glue to put the patch on...... you need a fire extinguisher to put it out. that stuff is like Gasoline around fire.

I carry both a plug kit and Fixaflat after a ride a few months back with scdmarx.

We were about 25 miles from town when the rear started loosing air.
Fixaflat got us to town then a plug got him home.

scdmarx":2esj7dnm said:
I've used Slime in bicycle tires. I don't think it works as advertised. I have used Fix A Flat and it works everytime I use it. I warn the guys at the tire shops and they always say it doesn't matter. I don't do tires, so I don't know what it looks like inside.
fix a flat is corrosive and will eat away at steel and aluminum rims but i've never used slime

Slime is s slipery slope to be avoibed at all cost...after slind the tire has to be replaced...omly use it if no other fix is possiable...used to carry fix a flat with me on the dirtbikd when racing enduros in order to get back to the finish line then a new tire was installed....with fia a flar if it diden't work then you had a tire that would slip on the rim (so before riplocks we woul deive sheet metal screws through the edge of the rim to hold the tire in place. So as we learned in those days necessity was the mother of invention. :cheeky: :mrgreen: :roll: