slow jet

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

instructorpilot

Reaction score
On the '81 wing the slow jet is pressed in. These are removable using a High Quality #2 easy out. I got mine at sears. However, the jet was completely clogged and unusable without drilling out. Is there a source for these jets and what size is it. The '82 and on is a #35 but I believe it screws in. I could even us a bad carb body that still has the jet in it. It is not all that hard to remove, as long as it is from a pre '82.
Al

instructorpilot":1rxvblvu said:
On the '81 wing the slow jet is pressed in. These are removable using a High Quality #2 easy out. I got mine at sears. However, the jet was completely clogged and unusable without drilling out. Is there a source for these jets and what size is it. The '82 and on is a #35 but I believe it screws in. I could even us a bad carb body that still has the jet in it. It is not all that hard to remove, as long as it is from a pre '82.
Al

I have a 1980 Interstate, and had the same problem you have with the clogged idle jets. 3 out of 4 on mine were clogged. I didn't want to try to get them out because I didn't know how I would be able to press new ones in...if I could even find the new ones.

After a few failing attempts to clear them with carb cleaner and an air compresser, I took them to the kitched and laid them upside down in a cake pan. I boiled some water, and slowly poured the boiling water into the idle jets, then took a .009" steel guitar string and tried to poke it through the gunk. It worked. After that, I took it back to the air compressor and carb cleaner to finish the job. It runs like a top now. I will tell you I don't know the exact size of the jet, but I do know the .012" guitar string is too large for the jet.

A little reasearch later. I found that the slo jets from the 82 and on GL1100 are threaded and can screw in, but only on the 82 and on carbs. The slo jet on the earlier 1100s were pressed in. Using a #2 easy out and a little heat on the carb in the area of the jet I was able to remove it. It actually came out easily. It was clogged woth a bit of dirt and would not clean out. The slo jet is offered only for the 82 and on models. However, after a little reasearch I found that the threds don't matter and the jet can be pressed back in just as the unthreaded one. The area on the jet that engages the carb body is below the threads and the jet presses in normally. The press in jet is no longer available from Kei Hin. It was subsituded with the threaded jet and fits both carbs. It is a #35.
Al
Note, I got the idea for removing the slo jet from the CX500 forum Chopper Charlies. Don't use a cheap easy out. If it breaks the carb is ruined.

Yes, that is what I am saying. It was a bit confusing because both the parts books, the one at the dealer and the downloadable one, show no slo jet available for the 80,81 models at all. In reality the new slo jet was configured to fit all models whether press in or screw in. An interesting omission by Honda. I'm sure that this is old news for alot of people, I found it to be an interesting discovery. If you had a earlier GL1100 and the slo jet was clogged and would not clean out, according to Honda your only recourse is to buy a new carb. I wonder if the GL1000s were the same way. I know that the early CX's are.
Al