Spark plug wire question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danf

Reaction score
Hello Gents, I plan to change out my wires, I've been surfing around trying to find the best aftermarket wires to get for my 81 1100 I, And how do you test the cap's? I know wires should be 7mm and copper core but is there anything else I need to know? Like how many strands, in the core?

Attachments

• '83 finished.JPG
    '83 finished.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 190
Sometimes the wire ends will corrode. Cutting a 1/4 inch off and reassembling fixes that.

If the resistor ohms out bad, pull them out and put a piece of 8 gauge solid wire cut to length in it's place then use resistor plugs.
I think some years call for a resistor AND resistor plugs. To my knowledge it won't hurt anything to run without the resistor in the caps.

dan filipi":89f8paxn said:
Sometimes the wire ends will corrode. Cutting a 1/4 inch off and reassembling fixes that.

If the resistor ohms out bad, pull them out and put a piece of 8 gauge solid wire cut to length in it's place then use resistor plugs.
I think some years call for a resistor AND resistor plugs. To my knowledge it won't hurt anything to run without the resistor in the caps.
Thank's Dan I was reading around I found a site where the guy used a set of wires with plugs for a 85 Honda Prelude, have you heard of this? Oh and I did cut off about a half inch just after I got the bike because it was burnt on the ends..Helped a lot..That would be nice to get it all at once and just put the skins on it.. and numbers..

dan filipi":3rmh3an4 said:
I haven't read about using Prelude wires. Got a link?
I think they are talking about the 2.0 FI because I went to the autozone site and found them and the boots are the same,www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/92306.html

One time I bought new 7 mm wire from an auto parts store. It was very cheap.
Since then a member here (jdegase?) bought wire and caps in quantity so a bunch of us could take advantage of the discount.
I think it was $25 incl shipping for 4 new wires and caps.

I'll see if I can find the original thread which linked where he bought them.

Edit: Yep it was jdegase, viewtopic.php?f=46&t=848&hilit=wires

dan filipi":1t761mhy said:
Since then a member here (jdegase?) bought wire and caps in quantity so a bunch of us could take advantage of the discount.

Yes sir, but I know that Bosch is of good quality, I might just be everyone's tester, ha ha I just went to the auto zone site to find it sure does look the same..

littlebeaver":2dtqsoqz said:
dan filipi":2dtqsoqz said:

Yes sir, but I know that Bosch is of good quality, I might just be everyone's tester, ha ha I just went to the auto zone site to find it sure does look the same..
I put the Bosch mag core wire's on and they seem to fire the bike nicely and it idles well, I can't wait now to test ride it but the snow is falling, 10" maybe tonight..Cool, sure I'll be a tester..

littlebeaver":2f5r2or9 said:
littlebeaver":2f5r2or9 said:
dan filipi":2f5r2or9 said:

I put the Bosch mag core wire's on and they seem to fire the bike nicely and it idles well, I can't wait now to test ride it but the snow is falling, 10" maybe tonight..Cool, sure I'll be a tester..

Cool!

Does it look like original?
How was the fit?

The guy on that page was right it's a SI Honda Prelude, I screwed up and got the FI but all isn't lost because I wanted to use the oem caps anyway. They all tested good. So I just used the Bosch wires and my plugs, starts and runs good.. I need to test ride it now, can't because of snow and ice.. I'll let you know..I told you I was different..ha ha

littlebeaver":f919rbrq said:
I decided to stick with the copper type wires, I don't wanta be a guinea pig.. :cry:

You already have the Bosch in place so run with them.
Can always put the others back.

I have used regular car wires without any issues. They are more flexible than the copper core wires. :mrgreen:

slabghost":2a593mbu said:
I have used regular car wires without any issues. They are more flexible than the copper core wires. :mrgreen:
Really, finally.. someone that is a true pioneer..Yes..I'm going to keep it on the bike, I thought about what Dan said [why not leave them], and I will never really know until I try it for myself, Bosch ultra premium 7mm opti layer mag core [wire wrapped]. I figure why not try it..I'm sticking with it I'm getting 4000 ohm with just the wire, 5000 with the cap on the wire end to end, specs. calls for 5000.. Cool at least I know someone else has done it..

kah92340":fwd99quf said:
Let us know how they work after you get some miles on them. It's always good to have options on these old bikes. :)
Yeh, I will, if it's good or if it's bad I will report my findings..,, Goldwing's are addicting, :shock:

sorry to chime in so late.
beaver thanks for all your info and testing dude its awsome to have someone knowledgeable do work on these old girls..
beleive it or not !
I still have some wire! actually lots of it.
if your interested I'll be happy to send ya some.
just let me know