Speedometer drive broke GL1200 standard

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlslick

Reaction score
This is a first for me. Never had a speedometer drive break. I figured it was the cable but was surprised to see it was not broken. I spun the wheel and the output of the drive can be held with your finger and it stops. I think what killed it was a very stiff cable. It had lubrication but it was a very thick and dried out grease. Haven't taken it apart yet.

If I am right can you guys send a note to my Wife???? She doesnt think that it is possible for me to be right. :roll:

It's just a nylon gear. A pot hole killed mine on my 83. Got a used one for $20.00 and had it installed when I replaced my tires. Funny thing was, the turn signals stopped self canceling too! :doh:

pull the wheel and look at the drive side of the wheel..there should be a 2 eared ring right behind the wheel seal... mine had rotted..and was like tin foil it came out shriveled and stringy like... the $6 replacement from the stealer was very robust... if the drive its not turning it could be either of those or both..