Squeaky Front Brakes

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctauber

Reaction score
I replaced the front and rear brake pads on my 82' GL1100i and the front continue to squeak. They function great but I could use some advice on what to do to stop the noise.

De-glaze the rotors, make sure the shims are there, between the caliper bracket and the pads, and possibly put some anti-squeal glue on the back of the pads. It's cheap - and sometimes free - at auto parts stores.

Thanks. I'll give that a try. You mentioned the Shims behind the pad but I don't recall there being any when I took them apart and didn't see them on the parts breakdown. Any suggestions?

its there to get new pad to wear at proper place ...but many have been discarded yrs ago ...ive had them both ways and really seen no difference ...but others may feel a difference better than I do

That picture helps. Those shims are in place. I was looking for something behind the pads as mentioned earlier.

I'll try pulling them apart again and applying some of the Anti-Squeak coating I found at the auto-parts store. Supposed to Rain tomorrow, maybe I can get into them after work.

Hi,
I'm in search of 2 brake pad spring separators & 4 brake pad shims for my '75 Gl1000.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Frisco

Sorry for the dumb question...is that oem parts manual in the tech reference section, or do I need to start looking on ebay to purchase my own for gl1100's? That's a very user-friendly format vs looking at cmsnl.

I agree. I finally found the brake pad spring separators at a local (mostly Honda) scrap yard in Richlandtown, Pa. the proprietor was good enough to allow me to remove the spring separators from the caliper so I didn't have to buy the whole thing. For reference they were $10 ea. But, thanks for your response.

Bowling-Alley wax, that will stop those pesky pads from squeaking. Or you could order some aftermarket brake caliper mufflers from Drag Specialties!

Squeak is vibration. So anti-rattle springs are important, as well as caliper lube.
As mentioned earlier, deglaze the rotor surface, and deglaze pad surfaces if they've been used.
Grind a 45 degree bevel on the leading edge of the pads. (Some pads are manufactured this way)
Upon assembly, take the bike down the road where you can accelerate, and brake long and hard. Without coming to a complete stop, accelerate again and brake long and hard. Do this about 5 times, then cruise steady back home to allow cooling.

That's all I got, but I haven't had a brake job squeal on me since the 80s.
Good luck.

Latest posts