Start button, solenoid, and starter.....three things that start with s that make me say a fourth...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisbags

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know which one I mean.

Anyway. The 81 GL1100 standard came to me with a wiring harness that looked like absolute hell. So I had some issues. but, the bike always started and ran, not all the lights worked, etc. but it ran fine.

I spent all weekend fixing and replacing the bad wires properly. I got the lights fixed. I did a little jig. Then I took it out to fill er up so I could take it to get titled and inspected, registered, etc. in delaware where she sleeps. I got to wawa, filled up with premium, hit the starter and a big bunch of nothing. I had the key on, switch on, in neutral, nothing.

So I pop started it. Worked fine. got home, kill switch worked as planned. But, still no starter. So I sat in my garage for a few minutes pondering what greater meaning this could possible hold for me. Then I started tearing the bike down again, seat off tank off, side covers off. All the wires to and from the solenoid are connected just as they were. I hit the button while holding the solenoid, I heard the click. So I'm afraid the starter just died without a warning or even a fare thee well.

So, my question is. Are there any other easily overlooked and hopefully easy to reach/diagnose points of failure in the starter system? Is there anything else I might try besides my idea of jumping the terminals on the solenoid to see if it somehow is bad? I'm still getting power to the rest of the bike so I know the fuse is good, etc.

Any tips, tricks, experience, wisdom, american indian rituals, or dirty limericks that are directly applicable to this situation are heartily appreciated. I just want to ride already!

Thanks guys.

Try jumper cables, ground from battery neg to engine block, then positive to starter post. This will bypass all the starting components and juice it straight. No crank then pull the starter. Crank its something before the starter.
Oh and make sure the battery is charged beforehand.

Hey guys.

So I did the jumper cable test, nada. So I guess the starter she is kaput. I saw how to pull one on YouTube, but given my rookie status, I'd like to buy one I'd it's a big process to do the work myself to rebuild. Any thoughts? I saw one on eBay but they wanted 600 bucks - oldbikebarn had one for about 100.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

chrisbags":3i42rl5u said:
Smack the shit out of it with a screwdriver - really?

Sounds fun actually.

best thing !!! if it dosnt make the bike go at least it makes ya feel better!! :good:

I just found a whole slew of posts on a forum for nighthawks that talk about smacking the starter motor itself with a rubber mallet, now THAT sounds like just what the doctor ordered, I think I'll try that.

If that works I'm ordering a rebuild kit, found some on ebay, look pretty decent and they're about 40 bucks it looks like.

In response to your request above:

There once was a hermit named Dave,
Who kept a parts Wing in a cave.
He said I'll admit I'm a bit of a twit,
but look at the money I save!
:builder:

Also go check your wiring especially the ground wire.. one in the center under the shelter cover.. all grounds attach to this point.. check the wiring diagram ... except for the front fairing it has one under the left pocket.. (for those with faringed bikes)... when you tried the starter test did you clamp near the starter with the Ground (-) and clamp the other to the (+) post? ....