Starter Bad?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvjoiner

Reaction score
I have a 1987 gl1200 BATTERY FULLY CHARGE but when I hit start button Volts drop from 13.4 to 9.5 And engine turns over slow Have clean both ground at battery and ENGINE Clean all pos. .connections from Battery to starter, Is my starter going bad and need rebuilted or what?

I HAVE Had the Battery load tested everything good and but Battery from my other bike everything the same

Though it was starting button took it apart and clean it took very fine sandpaper to contacts still everything the same

could be at starter itself ..a lot of times the post on starter gets compromized with its connection ...sometime you can loosen cable there and off ..then loosen post carfully and move it ever so slightly and retigten and the contact is better ....then reattach cable and try it ...hope that works ..it has a few times for me .....

Since you've pretty much checked/cleaned all of the connections, I'd have to vote for a failing starter meself. :yes:

Make sure the bike is in neutral and jump out the starter and see if bypassing the starter solenoid makes a difference. If your battery tests good and your voltage at the starter drops to 9 volts I would suspect the solenoid first, then the field coils or brushes in the starter.

One way to check the starter is to check resistance from the positive terminal on the starter to the case of the starter, if you have low resistance then you have a starter problem.

I had one with loose/overheated connections on the inside, for the brushes. Rebuild kits are cheap if needed, and the job is easy. The hardest part is the R&R of the starter from and to the engine.

One of the problems with just replacing brushes and not turning the armature is that many times actually most of the time the new brushes aren't formed to the armature and this causes arching and that damages the armature. That is why you see so many reman starters failing. Also field coils can short to the case requiring them to be removed, re wrapped and sometimes rewound.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=176890#p176890:14nmh628 said:
OldWrench » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:35 am[/url]":14nmh628]
One of the problems with just replacing brushes and not turning the armature is that many times actually most of the time the new brushes aren't formed to the armature and this causes arching and that damages the armature. That is why you see so many reman starters failing. Also field coils can short to the case requiring them to be removed, re wrapped and sometimes rewound.

Pretty sure permanent magnet fields in Goldwing Starters. Provided there isn't too much wear on the commutator you can just polish it up with emery paper. If you do machine it then you need to undercut the segments again ( PIA by hand).
Slow turning is normally the starter and very rarely the solenoid contacts.

You are probably right, I haven't had one apart. Regarding the brushes I do know for longevity you want the brush matched to the armature. I've used armature stones to clean them up in a pinch, but that is on much larger motors. The fact that the battery volts were dropping to 9 volts with good battery seemed to me there could be other issues other than worn out starter.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=176892#p176892:v6o5hgs7 said:
Ansimp » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:22 pm[/url]":v6o5hgs7]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=176890#p176890:v6o5hgs7 said:
OldWrench » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:35 am[/url]":v6o5hgs7]

Pretty sure permanent magnet fields in Goldwing Starters. Provided there isn't too much wear on the commutator you can just polish it up with emery paper. If you do machine it then you need to undercut the segments again ( PIA by hand).
Slow turning is normally the starter and very rarely the solenoid contacts.
At least through the 1200's, the starters have field coils. Permanent magnets would be nice, but I've never seen one in a 1000 - 1200 Wing starter.