Starter motor problems ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Mantle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is anyone out there suffering from a tired starter motor that gives the impression of a flat battery?
I found a link a while ago , on a CX/GL site , that suggests modifying the starter motor earth and thought about giving it a go .
The link is here if anyone is interested : https://ofapars-.webs.com/footerin.htm

I modified mine last November and rode the wing whenever possible this winter and NOT once did she fail to start - always spinning the motor easily and reliably hot or cold.

I do not know if it was because the starter was serviced or because of the modification but I suspect the mod was the cure to the previous problems I was suffering.

Just thought I would share in case it is a handy solution for others :cool!:

I tried that on a problem starter I had.
I soldered a wire directly to the brush plate then run through the end cover then attached to the upper starter mount bolt. It didn't seem to make any difference but later I found out one of the field windings was shorted so who knows.
The ground is just as important as the hot so a good ground path is worth the effort for sure.

Thanks for the comments , I appreciate the appreciation. I chose to leave this post until I was sure that the modification was worthwhile. there is nothing worse than posting something that you might regret at a later date LOL.
Speaking of which - I made a hydraulic clutch conversion a while ago , using a "pit bike " mechanism which worked very well for a few months. It failed . No real reasons just that it was not man enough for the job. I have since converted back to standard with a well lubricated home made cable that seems to do the job. My next aim is to try and lighten the wrist load by using different leverages in order to make life easier for my arthritis.
The luggage modifications are perfect as is the rear suspension mods. So at least my posts are not a complete waste of time.

slabghost":1sdc0oke said:
84 parts are not easy to find here either. Some are lucky enough to find them though.

I found one on fleabay : Item title:1984 Honda GL1200 GL 1200 Goldwing Aspencade Large Rear Engine Cover- opens in a new window or tab
Item ID:360446188024 - Price: US $7.99
Quantity:1. :yahoo:

I will not have the time to try and fit it until mid June , when I am on holiday. I already have sourced and got the circular clutch cover and hydraulic cylinder that , if this part is correct , should enable me to do the conversion.
So if all goes according to plan this should be sorted and I shall post news of it works OK.

ok dave ive look at everything .....what you bought is the clutch cover with the hydralic slave cylinder ...or is what you got the rear engine cover 1984....the clutch cover is what you need with hydeaulic slave cylinder ....thats all you need if your staying with 1100 clutch....

let me know whats up here dave...... and of corse line and hydualic clutch master lever for bars

I bought the rear engine cover. I have already got the clutch outer plus clutch hydraulic cylinder. I tried the clutch outer on a standard 1100 engine cover and it is not a straight forward bolt on fit. I am sure that I may need to resort to welding or modifying the circular cover in order to make it fit the case or weld and modify the engine case in order to make the cover fit . At least with all these parts I know I should be able to make this work - I am nothing if not resourceful .

oh okay then what you have is an 85 0r later clutch cover ...the 84 clutch cover and slave clinder is a direct bolt up .....the rear cover you have and clutch cover from 85 or later wont bolt up either .....i was thinking that someone could maybe make an adapter ring to go on top of the 85 or later clutch cover with the right bolt patterin for the 1100 bolting ...on my 82 with the 1200 84 motor installed has the 83 clutch cover hooked up to it strait boltup and i have a cable operated 1200 clutch ....

if this works out for me as in operation and i like it .....i would consider maybe sending you the right cover as i have one ...but i have to make its going to work out for me ...cable and 1200 clutch i may be just to much for me to deal with ...but im wanting it to work :mrgreen:

but plain and simple its the 84 clutch cover thats bolts right up no problem :laptop:

joedrum":1ad888rq said:
oh okay then what you have is an 85 0r later clutch cover ...the 84 clutch cover and slave clinder is a direct bolt up .....the rear cover you have and clutch cover from 85 or later wont bolt up either .....i was thinking that someone could maybe make an adapter ring to go on top of the 85 or later clutch cover with the right bolt patterin for the 1100 bolting ...on my 82 with the 1200 84 motor installed has the 83 clutch cover hooked up to it strait boltup and i have a cable operated 1200 clutch ....

if this works out for me as in operation and i like it .....i would consider maybe sending you the right cover as i have one ...but i have to make its going to work out for me ...cable and 1200 clutch i may be just to much for me to deal with ...but im wanting it to work :mrgreen:

but plain and simple its the 84 clutch cover thats bolts right up no problem :laptop:

Look what I have found - thought I would go ahead and buy it just in case someone else wants it :cheeky:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/261013103709?it ... 60&vxp=mtr
If this is the piece required then I am sorted :)

you are golden dave thats it darn good price ...you sould just be able to bolt it up ...it will have one slightly bigger hole in the bottom side its nothing to worry the 1200 had a line pin there int the rear cover is all that is......seems like the 1100 clutch sould realy pull easy ...you will have the best setup clutch one can have in a oldwing with wing parts ....cant wait to here how this works ....my bike will be the worst setup clutch pull one could have ...i hope i can deal with it ..if i cant ill just switch to hydraulic

Latest posts