Starting another rebuild.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plskthompson1

Reaction score
Most everyone here knows that shortly after getting my 1100 completely done and back on the road that I ran into an engine problem. Here is a link to the 1100 rebuild for anyone that wants to relive it or just see what was done. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28 After a long drawn out decision making process, I decided that instead of replacing the engine, I would either sale or trade the 1100 for another bike. I ran across an 84 1200 interstate with 89,000 miles on it, and the owner was willing to trade for my 1100 and my wife's GZ250, straight across.

I have ridden this bike since the day that I picked it up, only replacing the busted trunk to this point. Recently, I noticed that the rear tire was slowly leaking down if she sat for a day or so. I know, I know, she shouldn't sit at all if the weather is good, but I can't carry a wife and two kid's on the bike, sooooooooo. When I went to check the pressure recently, I noticed that the tread was slick, so, until I can afford a set of tires, as the front needs replaced as well, she is pretty much parked for the winter.

The paint on this bike is not terrible, nor is it salvageable. When I first seen the pics of the bike prior to pick up, I had a feeling that the paint could be buffed out, and this would have probably been possible, but with the trunk being replaced due to the major cracks, I have decided to repaint the whole bike.

One side cover had a chrome bar mounted to it with three screws. I had initially thought about finding the matching piece for the other side, but decided to do away with it. There were also luggage rack type bars on both saddle bag lids, I have also decided to remove them, and fill in the holes. Other than that and a few deep scratches that need to be filled in, the body work is going to be pretty well straight forward.

The engine is going to have to come out this winter to replace the rear transmission gasket. To this point that is the only engine problem that I have found and appears to be a pretty straight forward, but time consuming, repair.

I've decided to use a paint that my dad had mixed for his el camino. The color is a blue from an early 2000's Volkswagen Beetle. It will be accented with at silver pin stripe. The two tone design on my 1100 was a little more of a challenge that I want to tackle on this one even though that design was derived from the original 1200 paint scheme.

I'm attaching the pictures that I was sent from the previous owner, as they are all I have at this point. It will give you an idea of what I'm starting with.

Attachments

• gl1200-2.JPG
    gl1200-2.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 133
  • gl1200-3.JPG
    gl1200-3.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 133
  • gl1200-7.JPG
    gl1200-7.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 131
Looks otay to me! At least, it's a fairly solid base to start with. Looking forward to the updates as they happen! :good:

It's still here, Joe. The owner didn't want us to do anything to it, but he hasn't come to pick it up yet either. Does anyone know how long he can leave it before I can claim property rights to it? :whistling:

plskthompson1":mfxwle5k said:
It's still here, Joe. The owner didn't want us to do anything to it, but he hasn't come to pick it up yet either. Does anyone know how long he can leave it before I can claim property rights to it? :whistling:

That advice would be different in different states. Dept. of Motor Vehicles in your state should have a website. Or call - or drop in.

If you are serious. Send him a certified letter giving him a date to pick up the bike after which $X storage fees will be assessed daily. As stated laws vary so you need to be certain you are giving him time allowed by law. You need to be able to prove your story hence the need for a certified letter.

I wasn't being completely serious, but that does give me something to think about. It's not hurting anything sitting where it is, I just have a hard time looking at it and not being able to take it on the road. You know how it is, the longer they sit, the worse off they get.

Latest posts