Starting my midlife crisis, here to soak up information

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207347#p207347:28wyl7es said:
saganaga » 4 minutes ago[/url]":28wyl7es]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207299#p207299:28wyl7es said:
julimike54 » November 15th, 2018, 10:53 pm[/url]":28wyl7es]
Welcome to The Forum and enjoy! As you might can tell I'm partial to the 1200s

I was doing some more reading today, and the 1200s sound intriguing. Hydraulic lifters would reduce maintenance, and that started with the GL1200s, right?
Yes. 1984 was the first year.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207346#p207346:3p0nbb40 said:
saganaga » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:22 am[/url]":3p0nbb40]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207325#p207325:3p0nbb40 said:
wedoo2 » Today, 7:05 am[/url]":3p0nbb40]
Oh saganaga (what the hell is that?) the Vikings have a real problem tomorrow.

Obvious Bears fan.

There's a GW on Facebook market right now with a Packer's sticker.

As for Saganaga, it's a big lake at the end of the Gunflint Trail on the Minnesota/Ontario border. When I was thinking of a screen name, I remembered seeing a lot of motorcycles the last time my wife and I traveled to the Boundary Waters.
:good:

And some news - I may have access to a GL1500 for touring. Depends on what condition it is in.

Which, as far as I can tell, means I should buy an older naked Gold Wing for myself. Right? :)

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207376#p207376:29h46cao said:
saganaga » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:00 pm[/url]":29h46cao]
And some news - I may have access to a GL1500 for touring. Depends on what condition it is in.

Which, as far as I can tell, means I should buy an older naked Gold Wing for myself. Right? :)
:good: :clapping:

Welcome to the support group, Saga!

My name is Dave, and I'm a chronic overachiever- I got an early start on my 'mid-life crisis' when I was oh... 18 or so... with a KZ400 that I brought home (to a girlfriend's house anyway) in baskets. I wrenched on it there for about a week before firing it up and riding it to the test facility to get my motorized license. Prior to that, I'd ridden my bicycle across Iowa at least six times... and that was oh... 30+ years ago. I owned a Kaw (GPz) 750 Turbo for about a week and a half (too jumpy for in-town riding for me)... Then I sold it for a Sportster for about a season and a half... then sold that, and bought a 6400 mile Honda CX500D, which I rode as a daily-driver up 'till acquiring my '84 GL1200 two seasons ago.

I own two Paramounts (all Campagnolo), a Schwinn Voyageur SP, and a first-gen Cimarron... now it's a Cannondale Synapse with Ultegra drivetrain... and I still ride across Iowa every year... now I do it with my 17 year-old son. ;-)

It's never too late to get a good start on a mid-life crisis... :yahoo:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207388#p207388:2zd7rj3o said:
DaveKamp » Yesterday, 5:24 pm[/url]":2zd7rj3o]
Welcome to the support group, Saga!

My name is Dave, and I'm a chronic overachiever- I got an early start on my 'mid-life crisis' when I was oh... 18 or so... with a KZ400 that I brought home (to a girlfriend's house anyway) in baskets. I wrenched on it there for about a week before firing it up and riding it to the test facility to get my motorized license. Prior to that, I'd ridden my bicycle across Iowa at least six times...

RAGBRAI participant? That's what I think about riding a bicycle across Iowa.

Yep. 14 consecutive, then about twelve years off on account of C5C6 neck problems and kids... but this year was #19... and my son rides with me now... :good:

You should get that bike with the packers sticker. That'll get you far.

I'd rather have a 49cc Chinese scooter. Run that up and down Route 61. In winter.

I'd rather have a 49cc Chinese scooter. Run that up and down Route 61. In winter.

Since you mentioned 49cc scooters, I took the Honda motorcycle I have (old Honda 400cc twin) out for what I think will be the last trip of 2018. Filled it up with gas on the way home. Big believer in protective equipment so I was in full kit - helmet, jacket, pants and boots. I did throw some snowmobile gloves over the motorcycle gloves, and wore a balaclava. Even went down Highway 61.

When I got home, I realized I should fill up the old Honda Express I have. Which is a 49cc scooter that heavily shows its moped roots (It is basically a Honda Hobbit without the pedals) and does about 25 mph at full throttle. So in the same gear, I fired it up and ran over to fill the tank.

Got some weird looks at the gas station. Really weird looks. Think I was the most protect scooter rider in the Twin Cities this year.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207397#p207397:17y1e48s said:
DaveKamp » November 20th, 2018, 10:29 pm[/url]":17y1e48s]
Yep. 14 consecutive, then about twelve years off on account of C5C6 neck problems and kids... but this year was #19... and my son rides with me now... :good:

I'm jealous. Did some bicycle touring, but never did a group thing like RAGBRAI.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207464#p207464:1id3lafk said:
saganaga » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:42 am[/url]":1id3lafk]

Since you mentioned 49cc scooters, I took the Honda motorcycle I have (old Honda 400cc twin) out for what I think will be the last trip of 2018. Filled it up with gas on the way home. Big believer in protective equipment so I was in full kit - helmet, jacket, pants and boots. I did throw some snowmobile gloves over the motorcycle gloves, and wore a balaclava. Even went down Highway 61.

When I got home, I realized I should fill up the old Honda Express I have. Which is a 49cc scooter that heavily shows its moped roots (It is basically a Honda Hobbit without the pedals) and does about 25 mph at full throttle. So in the same gear, I fired it up and ran over to fill the tank.

Got some weird looks at the gas station. Really weird looks. Think I was the most protect scooter rider in the Twin Cities this year.

thats funny :hihihi:

Looking up information on various Gold Wings, it looks like standard GL1200s are a lot rarer (1 year) than standard GL1100s.

Which makes me lean towards the GL1100s.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207556#p207556:35yv5mcp said:
joedrum » Today, 3:39 am[/url]":35yv5mcp]
all oldwings have there quirks of various years there huge differences in the 1100 from the various years ...an 84 1200 standard is not something to shy away from ..

I have a year or so before I plan to buy, so maybe I'll find a cheap '84 1200 in the mean time.

What are the quirks between the various 1100s? I seem to recall the gear ratios changed over the years for various reasons. Anything else?

the gear changes are the biggest difference the 80-81 years are the lowest geared oldwings out there at hiway speed the rev the highest the 82 rev a bit less and the 83 even less more but also has the lowest gear in all the oldwings in first gear ...80-81 bikes have single piston brakes like the 1000 bikes do and wheel sizes are like 1000 bikes ...82 yr has dual piston brakes and are not link brakes and this bike uses fatter tire in the rear and swinarm is different than earlier yrs and the clutch works are a bit different too as in cable hook up … the 83 bikes have linked brakes system and different size dual piston braks on front wheels there also slight differences in the ignition on the yrs but basically the same on all yrs.....the 83 yr bike have mag wheels on them ….the 84 1200 is basically geared just 83 yr bike with a taller gear final drive making it the tallest geared 1200 bike as in hiway rpm ...there are diffeences in 1000 bikes to through the yrs ….my bike is a parts mixing mut of many yr bikes 1000 bike with 1200 motor with 1000 heads and cams 1200 swingarm and final drive plus 1200 mag wheels and car carb to feed it … I got to know all the bikes well and put together the bike I wanted and made it my own oldwing with the help of all the members here along the way …

Just an FYI. This coming spring 2019, my '82 standard will be going on the market. It has been fully restored from barn find condition. Every nut, bolt, washer and electrical part has been gone through. I installed an '83 engine in her to get the best of all worlds for highway travel on an 1100. With the '83 transmission and the '82 rear ratio, I have much lower RPM's at highway speeds. As a result, she is not super fast off the line, hence the reason I nicknamed her "The Slug". Not saying she won't get up and go, she gets up real smooth.

Her carbs were fully rebuilt by Pistol Pete, timing belts changed and kept up, AM/FM/iPod/AUX/CD stereo with handle bar mounted waterproof remote and speakers, new fork springs and shocks, etc.

I have added a Plexifaring III windshield with a MRA extender which dramatically reduces helmet buffeting at highway speeds. I tow a Harbor Freight Tag a Long trailer all over the place. I have traveled up and down the East coast towing that trailer and camping equipment everywhere. I have put 36,000 miles on her in 11 years, but it is time to let her go. I have knee issues that have prevented me from putting more than 500 miles on her this year.

She will go on the market with the trailer for $3400.

She started out like this:

image.php

And is now this:

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

I've read the thread(s) on Gerry's bike and a lot of good information and work done, mechanically and electrically. I would recommend reading the threads about this bike so that you can see what has been done. These threads explain what has been done and why in a lot of cases. Good place to start - great information that will assist in your search.

Finding a used older GW that looks in good shape is no guarantee of the mechanical and electrical condition of the bike. Something like building/renovating a house. Drywall and a fresh coat of paint can mask a lot of issues that you may. or may not, find later.

Any used older GW that you find out there will require work/maintenance of some kind, and you find some neat "skeletons in the closet" sometimes. With Gerry's you have a pictorial history that can give you a warm and fuzzy so to speak that at the onset all will be well, not to say that down the road something may have to be done outside of maintenance issues.

Just my thoughts and humble opinion after having refurbishing two '85 Limited Edition GWs, and buying a '95 1500 and doing the maintenance on it. Found lots of skeletons with each.

Miles on the clock don't mean much.
My '88 has a million mile odometer.
Maybe they were being a bit optimistic?

Latest posts