Starting problem

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidewinder

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been a while since I posted but been busy and nothing going on at least until now.

For the last few weeks the starter on my 1100 acted as though it was dragging or the battery weak. I put a new battery in because the one in there is quite old. This did not see to have much effect on the start. Now she just clicks and the starter doesn't engage. Battery is new and fully charged.

Anyone have a test sequence so I can figure if it solenoid or starter as I don't want to go chasing the wrong thing?

It would help to have some parameters like resistance, voltage etc to test. The clicking tells me the solenoid is doing something so do I have a starter rebuild to look forward to?

1. Make sure the battery cables are clean and tight, including the ground at the frame/engine.
2. Pull the spark plugs and see if it turns over.
3. Using a heavy cable - like a jumper cable, bypass the starter relay (solenoid) by jumping from the Pos. (+) battery terminal to the starter cable terminal. Or, you can jump the 2 terminals on the relay.

You should get battery voltage at the starter terminal during cranking, which usually drops to 10 volts or so.

If the starter "spins" momentarily when you release the starter button, the engine is just kicking back from compression and turning the starter backwards. It shouldn't do this with the plugs removed.

LOL I was getting ready to make something out of nothing. I noticed I left the thing sitting with the fuel on for about a month. Pulled the plugs and # 4 puked out about a cup O fuel as soon as I hit the starter. Oh well, stupid is as stupid does.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

If the starter "spins" momentarily when you release the starter button, the engine is just kicking back from compression and turning the starter backwards. It shouldn't do this with the plugs removed.

That's exactly what got me to thinking .... again ... finally. LOL

Guess I'll have to reset the float on #4 that's the one loaded up although some came out of #2. It's been sitting for a month or so on the kick stand so leaning that way didn't help either.

Even on my CBRs that have vacuum fuel taps I always need to make sure that they are turned off, I even try and do it when stopped for awhile on the side stand. Makes life much easier for the starter motor/ battery if you have a faulty needle and seat in any of the carbs.