Stator, Clutch, water pump replacement.......DANG IT!!!!!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveA-wing

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, things were going well.....too well.....Engine out, piece of cake....nothing broken, stator out, new one installed without incident. Vacuum advance leaking, had a spare...minor bump in the road. Clutch next, clutch nut removed, basket out, new clutch plates installed.....took pictures all along the way to try to ensure I wouldn't screw up. Set all the new springs in the basket started the 2 black bolts into the pressure plate just enough to start the rest of the bolts. Didn't even really start tightening the screws and SNAP! Busted one of the :sensored: posts on the pressure plate. I started all the bolts with my fingers, must got one cross threaded. Well ebay to the rescue, gotta wait until the mailman brings me the donor that I picked up for $20.

I feel lucky that I found a good used complete basket for $20. Only thing I can figure is the post must have had a crack in it. I didn't even start torquing the bolts and I was careful to turn them 1/4 turn at a time alternating between opposite bolts.

I did go ahead and mount the new oil filter. I guess I can go ahead and make the gasket that I didn't have and put the new connector on my yelllow wires to the R/R. Hope the parts come in by next weekend so I can her put back together.

Once I got the parts installed, I decided that since I had the engine out I'd do a little needed refreshing that had been neglected by the P.O. I noticed that there were several places that the paint had come off the engine....Clean, brass brush parts to remove the loose paint, repaint with engine enamel and clear coat with engine clear. Master cylinder reservoir gasket had been leaking and the paint was coming off in spots. Strip paint, degrease prime and paint with epoxy paint. I take all the parts (except the engine of course) and put them in the oven set for 180 degrees. 3 hours later wife comes home and asks "You baking bread?" I hang my head and say "kinda"......It's a good thing that she understands me. I hope to be riding by Sunday! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Got the engine back in, all fluids added, adjusted the valves, synced the carbs. Still haven't got her clothes on yet. Got her out on the road yesterday for a quick ride to check things out. Everything went great. New stator is working great 14.2 volts @ 1000rpm. Rev up to 3000 and volts rise to 14.6. This was without the fairing so the headlight wasn't in the circuit. How does the voltage look to you guys? I did not replace the R/R. I wanted to see how things were with the new stator. The voltage seems a little high, don't wanna cook my battery. I replaced the water pump, but it looks like I'm gonna have to go back in cause there was a very slight oil drip from the weep hole after it sat over night.

SteveA-wing":maem8p33 said:
The voltage seems a little high, don't wanna cook my battery.
Nope....at 4000 RPM with only the headlight and running lights on the voltage can get up to 15.2 max. When you are on the road at that RPM it should balance out down to 14.6 max.