steering angle sensor test

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toremitchell

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is an electrical test that I can perform to verify that my steering angle sensor is working correctly? I have the front end torn down for other maintenance, so I have the angle sensor wires disconnected at the moment. My self cancelling turn signals seem a little flaky at times, so I would like to try to isolate the problem if possible.

Sorry for the delay in my response. I actually tried a couple times to post a reply but for some reason could not find the "post reply" option. This time it appeared on the page. It was probably some sort of operator failure. Anyway . . . .

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. I ended up buying a like-new sensor off eBay for $30. It actually behaves very similarly to my old switch. Maybe both switches are good (or both bad, although I think this is unlikely). My conclusion is that it's pretty much impossible to determine if the sensor is good using an ohm meter.

Tore

No, this is the one at the base of the steering head that senses the degrees of handlebar turn. It is a potentiometer which gradually increases resistance when checked on an ohm meter. I just expected it to vary more consistently from side to side and through its full range of motion. I think it is behaving correctly (especially after comparing the old and new sensors), but it's hard to be absolutely confident.

The system works flawlessly now after replacing the steering angle sensor and checking some contacts. I didn't see any corrosion on the connectors at the sensor or the computer, but I imagine it wouldn't take much in a system like this to cause problems. I am very glad that I got the system working rather than disabling it as I read that some people have done.

If anybody is looking for a good dielectric grease to protect the electrical connectors on your bike from corrosion use this product available from amazon.com: GC Electronics 10-1206 Luberex Lubricant. It is only $5, and it is ideal for the purpose. I used a dab of it on every connector that I could easily get to on my bike.