Stranded...again....(alternator failure)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rebuild the old one, bearing's, etc you then have a good one in the box of spare part's. :good: Never know when you could use or trade it for something you need, or could use. :yes:

:blush:
Well, my quicky fix dint werk very long. I cleaned the brush holder out well with contact cleaner, and aired it dry. Got the brushes moving nicely in/out. Cleaned the commutator rings on the armature, and put it back together. Back on the bike, it was charging a little over 14v for aboot 5 minutes. Then I winged the throttle....and it stopped werking. Took it back apart, and it all looked otay, but still wouldn't charge. Guess I need to get some new brushes for it, and then I'll have a spare on hand. It was worth a shot. New brushes will fix it. Both bearings are fine.
New alt is already on it's way.... from Minnysnowta. :roll:

Possible...they still have enough to hold the brushes out, but maybe not enough to hold them snug. The brushes are soldered into the regulator, and I dint get that deep into it to find out. I'll fiddle with it later, tho. :yes:

Actually I miss spoke, George and I had installed the volt meter a few weeks before the alt failure. I remember stopping for gas on the way to work and noticed it wasn't charging, so I was able to get it home.

~O~

New alt installed, and charging great! :clapping:
Was a bit frustrated when I got home and saw it....the box was pretty banged up, and the contents sliding around freely. The alt was packed into a smaller box inside, with a couple air bags on one side only. Inside box was also torn up. Got the alt out, and it just dint look right. After a while I finally figured out one of the wires had been pulled out of a connector.
So...brand spankin new alternator, and I'm out in the geeraj re-crimping, and soldering a friggin connector. Also had to cut the connector on the bike, and install a connector that would actually plug into the one on the alt harness. It was either that, or take the dam seat off, and the radio panel, and I weren't playin that game tonight.
Anyway, the new 90 amp alt is quite a bit larger in diameter. So much so that it dint wanna go back in without some finnagalin, and a few choice werds of encouragement. :sensored:
Once in tho, it fit just fine...it's definitely larger visually. Got everything hooked up, fired it off, and it's charging right at 14v all the time, even with the high beam, brake, and hazard flashers on.
Sure am a happy camper now! :yahoo:

:smilie_happy: Ya...gotta have a pizza oven on there, right? :hihihi:

So rode to werk & back today, no problems. This alternator does have a high pitched whine to it. Not sure if it's a normal noise or not, but it's definitely noticeable, considering the bike overall is whisper quiet. Not a bearing noise...it's electrical. It changes when I use the brakes, or turn sigs. It hasn't caught fire yet, so Imma gunna run wid it.... :yes: :moped:

More amperage is always the way to go. If you need it. It's there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:rant: :sensored: :rant: :Awe: :Awe: :head bang:

Stranded...again....(alternator failure) part deux

Dammit....alternator took a doo-doo on me....again. Just to make it interesting, it failed in almost edzachary the same place the OE one did in 2016....aboot 5 miles from the house....on the innerstate...in evening rush hour traffic. What are the odds on that, eh? Used my mini jump box as before, and made it home. Durn thing is making a noise when it spins(I already took it off). I'll tear it down tomorrow and see if it just needs brushes or something. Sure seems like one should last longer than that.....just about 11,000 miles on it. Of course, the warranty is only for one year....it's been a year and 4 months. :doh: Got another new one already on the way. :fiddle:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=201090#p201090:37d29mpt said:
dan filipi » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:22 am[/url]":37d29mpt]
What rotten luck! I’m sure it’s just a fluke.
Agreed! If they have an extended warranty option you might want to go for it.

2 year warranty was another $30. I tore the thing apart this morning, and all it needs is new brushes(same as the OE one needs)....which I ordered, for $10. I'll put the new brushes in this one, and have a spare. I'll install it after I put the new brushes in, and if it werks well, then I'll get another set of brushes for the OE one...and have TWO spares...for $20!! Apparently, these things will eat up brushes pretty quick. If the dam things weren't soldered in, they would give quite a bit more service, but as it is, the dang things just don't have enough slack in the cables to allow the brushes to travel very far. Oh well..... :builder:

Latest posts