Stupid tire changing questions...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few suggestions. One is from Randakk, don't use soap on aluminum rims. It will and they will a chemical reaction and cause corrosion and leak. Use armorall. if the clampor 230 lbs don't do it, you can put a 4x4 on the tire and carefully creep up on the board with a car or pickup.

Good tire shops don't use soap. Soap, or some of the chemicals in soap, is what causes of the rim surface where the tire meets the rim. Eventually it builds up an uneven surface and causes leaks. I have had it happen to a few rims off cars. You have to take an abrasive to smooth it out again to get a good seal. It shows up at winter time, when you least want a flat.

ekvh":vt6asity said:
Good tire shops don't use soap. Soap, or some of the chemicals in soap, is what causes of the rim surface where the tire meets the rim. Eventually it builds up an uneven surface and causes leaks. I have had it happen to a few rims off cars. You have to take an abrasive to smooth it out again to get a good seal. It shows up at winter time, when you least want a flat.
I suppose it has nothing to do with winter salt. Have you checked your aluminum pans lately? Are they all eaten up by corrosion? Have you ever worked in a tire shop? I have and everything from the tiniest trailer tire to the big semi tires got soap put on them to ease mounting.

yes the safty issue is huge ...when someone gets hurt changging tires its always bad it seems ...no time to be thinking o rim ....i think its mostly just silly to t not use soap when it got a proven history of success

That lift was a pleasure to work with but I couldn't get the bead broken on the front tire without going batshit crazy on it, so I took it to the shop. A guy came in after me with his front tire half installed to have them fix it. I paid $15 for the front that I R/R, and $76 for the rear that they R/R. Splines lubed and Dynabeads installed free.

Now a word RE: The new S11's. These tires feel very different from the D404's. Turns, wide or tight feel roundier, with dramatically reduced resistance felt in the handle bars. I guess the word "nimble" fits the feeling and it's like "in your face," not just the usual new tire feel. As for the Dynabeads only time will tell. She rode like butta all the way home.

~O~

just though I would add to this thread some info from randakks site about soapy water as a lube it is a good read
Easy Method to Ruin your Wheels https://www.randakks.com/TechTip62.htm

I don't know how old that article is, or whether the bike shop was useing dishsoap, or whatever, but there is stuff widely available for the use on aluminum rims. I'd say about 90% or better of new cars have aluminum wheels from the factory.

Here are a few choices from a quick google search. https://www.jtmproductsinc.net/tiremounting.html

Just say'n.

I would advise anyone that's concerned about using soap they should research it for themselves to find a "safe" alternative.

The more I learn, the more I find how much I actually don't know.
There are MANY evolving technologies each day and many many different ways to get the same thing done anymore.
To stop learning and not research what is the truth and the exact details behind something and accept what others say as the truth is not how I operate.

In that article he states:

During my 43 years as a motorcycle technician, I've tried everything from Vaseline, axle grease, rear end gear oil, motor oil, soapy water, Crisco, Mazola oil, olive oil, 3-in-1 oil, WD-40, Lionel electric train oil, cod liver oil, castor oil, and candle wax to Vicks Vapo-Rub. All of these products had major drawbacks when it came to tire mounting lubricant and sealant!

Really!? Axle grease and gear oil?
Both of them are designed to put a layer of lubricant between 2 moving parts, of course the tire will spin independent of the wheel and do so for a VERY long time!
Anyone even considering using it doesn't understand some basics.

For this reason that article has no merit on the subject as far as I'm concerned.

I will never claim to know everything (see my second paragraph) but NOT putting those kinds of lubricants on a motorcycle wheel and tire is a no brainer.

I used Amour All on mine. Made it slick but then worked in and eventually dissapeared.

Heath

UPDATE: Bridgestone S11's

I'm so pleased with these Bridgestone tires I just have to rave. I've had these a while now, and the ride is far superior to the D404's. While the D404's were an improvement over the tires the bike came with, I never liked the way the rear handled or felt when making turns at intersections. The rear tire always felt like it wanted to washout...slip. This feeling is gone, the S11 rear feels solid at all times. Also, I've heard some don't like a front tire with the straight center groove. The S11 front really handles some knarly uneven pavement at intersections, stuff that used to really move me around even when the D404's were new.

So yeah, I recommend the S11's, they may be a "cruiser" tire but they handle this heavy girl just fine.

As for the Dynabeads? I don't know, with all the dramatically improved handling characteristics it's had to tell if they are helping, they haven't hurt that's for sure.

~O~