Sudden 3000 RPM rattle

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilidawg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pulled into a rest stop this evening about 20 miles south of Tupelo MS on the Natchez Trace Parkway for a smoke and a stretch, and everything was fine.

Spent no more than 15 minutes stopped, the minute I pulled away from there I noticed a rattling I haven't heard before.

Seems to be coming from the motor, and is only evident from 3K and above.

I'm thinking maybe the primary chain tensioner just picked that particular time and place to run out of adjusting power.

But then I know badly synced carbs will mess with the primary chain and even though I have a single, could I have developed a vacuum leak in one leg of the manifold?

None of this is stopping me from continuing on to Nashville tomorrow, the bike runs great, it's just got this new rattle.

Any ideas?? :moped: :music2:

Nashville TN. Well it would appear that the mysterious rattle does not want to put the kibosh on my ride, bike still rattles but ran flawlessly all day today, all the way to end of the NTP, and it hasn't gotten any worse.

I did get to look at the oil this morning and it looked good, though I don't have the tools to drop it. I also don't have the 17mm wrench or the deep 12mm available to check the alternator nut, but it did run nearly 300 miles faultlessly so I'm thinking that's OK too.

My buddy Jon from England, (riding with me on my Kawasaki) said I was mumbling about the rattle in my sleep last night, guess it got to me good.

So on a lighter note, I did yet to do a do-over of a failed photo I took on this same ride 2 years ago going to NASSIR 7 and here it is.

You can make it my banner ride if you want to Dan. It does qualify.

Attachments

• State line photos 004.jpg
    State line photos 004.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 319
Hmm, the 1200 uses a 17mm regular socket for the alternator bolt. If the others are 12mm, I had forgotten that. I had the same description of symptoms from this on mine. I was lucky and able to thread it back in. Putting a long enough screw driver or hard object on the cover to your ear(stethoscope) might tell you if it's worth investigating further.

yep on 1000 and 1100s there is big ttouble if it gets to bad .....on them the bolt actually holfs to rotor on ....on my 1200 i just took the stupid bolt off.....it was there just to turn thr motor ....and my bike it got loose and i got rid of it...

Alternator bolt came loose on me out in the desert once. My son along but no tool bag, yeah that was dumb.
What a racket that makes when loose. Was fine at idle but growled with any rpm. Rode about 30 miles to an auto parts for a set of sockets. I don't go anywhere without my tool bag any more.

Memphis TN. Checked the radiator mounts this morning, all tight, (tsk, thought I'd had an idea there,) but the rattle is still event, not sure if its happening on the freeway, at 4K (75 mph) it's either not happening or it's just too loud to hear it.

250 miles today, just about all freeway and the bike is still running like a top and making the same gas mileage as the Kawasaki.

Heading to Texarkana TX tomorrow, we'll see how that goes.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 272
Be careful,
Very wet stormy weather headed to Houston again and even most of eastern Texas today. Probably and typically at it's worst in the afternoon. Friday thru Sunday it all clears out, you might want to consider waiting until Friday to return.

Texarkana AR. Thanks for the heads up Terry, it did just rain on us for the last 100 miles on I30, and the rest of the ride home should be plain sailing, via Dallas.

Bike is still running great, the rattle seems to have gone away, either that or I'm just ignoring it now. Moderator: Maybe you ought to transfer this thread to the run forum.

No photo tonight because there is absolutely nothing to photograph in Texarkana Arkansas.

Once had a loose bolt on the motor mount that bolts to the big sheet metal plate behind the fan, upper one that bolts to the frame, made allot of noise for just a little loose..Good luck on your ride, love the pics..seems it would be hard to find a parking spot in front of Sun records..cool shot. :mrgreen:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173658#p173658:3anwuz9j said:
chilidawg » Thu May 19, 2016 8:59 pm[/url]":3anwuz9j]
No photo tonight because there is absolutely nothing to photograph in Texarkana Arkansas.

:smilie_happy:

Arkansas%20Sign.jpg

Dallas TX. Bike continues to run wonderfully, rattle only seems to be evident in quiet riding conditions, I'm thinking now it might be just tappets but then I only adjusted them a few weeks ago following the camshaft saga, who knows? All I do know is, it ain't stopping this bike from being anything short of awesome!

Maxed out and more the 85 MPH speedometer today on I30 and solid as a rock on the road.

Heading home tomorrow with very close to 2,000 miles on it in a week, good job really because this thread is getting to be a little like an episode of Where's Waldo.

A massive THANK YOU to all of you that helped me build this awesome machine.

Dealey plaza. Dallas TX.

Attachments

• Dealey plaza. Dallas TX 001.jpg
    Dealey plaza. Dallas TX 001.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 228
  • Dealey plaza. Dallas TX 005.jpg
    Dealey plaza. Dallas TX 005.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 232
Home fellas. Thanks for all the support!

I rode the last 20 miles helmetless, so now I know I have some kind of engine rattle that I cant put my finger on.

I think I'm gonna fix it with the 55,000 mile engine I've got spare, the one in question has 135,000 on it now.

Best of all worlds, I have a reliable machine, all the best parts to swap it out with and no hurry to do it.

Gonna need some help though, I've never separated a motor from a prop shaft before.

But I do know a whole bunch of guys that have. :music: :BigGrin:

Well fellas, I found it, the cause of my intermittent rattle!

And believe me I ain't that proud to tell ya what it is, feeling kinda stupid right now actually. :blush:

Turns out the right highway peg was looser than it should've been and was rattling against the rocker cover whenever it felt like it!

Sorry for all the head scratching dudes, but :thanks: anyhow!!

Attachments

• Stupid ass highway peg 001.jpg
    Stupid ass highway peg 001.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 95

Latest posts