Switching things up...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other day I got a PM from Paul: Give me a call. So I did and we discussed rotary switches. I asked him about a month ago if he could recommend one switch over another. He said give him a few days and he would get back to me so that is what I thought this phone call was for. Turns out he had one for me to try out and wanted to send it to me. Ok, no problem. I didn’t have to ask the next question: “How do I wire it,” because he tells me that when he get home that night, he will figure out which wire has to go from each post to the next post to get it wired correctly and draw me a diagram. I said thanks that would be great. I can cut and solder a wire but figuring out the correct wiring of a four position rotary switch may be approaching my limits. I finish that call by say: “Hey beggars can't be choosy, but can I get a sticker?” Silence, then: "You mean you didn't get any with your kit," he asks. Nope was my reply. "I'll throw some in too."

Fast forward a few days and I get home from the real job and open the mailbox and see an envelope from C5... Great, the switch is here, but I can't open it because I have to run to the play-time job so I just throw the envelope in the trunk of the bike and ride on. Things slow down at U-Haul and I get a chance to open the envelope and I find not just one sticker but three of different sizes. In fact one is about 6" in diameter and unlike any sticker I have ever seen before and I really need to ask Paul what kind of sticker it is, but that is a different story.

I then open the bubble envelope inside and I am a bit confused. There isn't a rotary switch in there. What I have is a bundle of wires about a foot and a half long all shrink wrapped together... this must be some mistake. I am not supposed to get this. I am just getting a switch. Then I look a little closer. A blue wire, hmmm; a brown wire, oooh; a black wire, ok, and a rotary switch attached to the end; OH MY! About this time I realize I am holding my diagram only Paul didn’t draw it up for me, he wired it up for me! That required another phone call!

It sure is nice working with Paul and C5 Performance! He simply says give it a test and tell me what you think.

Last night was the night to install it and I think it looks right at home:

Installation couldn't have been easier except I have to remove the Vetter fairing in order to remove the tank shelter. Still no real problem. 1 and a half hours start to finish and that included 20 minutes of running to the auto parts store for some bullet connectors.

Now for some testing.

Start the bike up and see what it does at idle. I have to say that changes from positions 1 and 2 I think can hear a slight difference in how the motor idles but nothing different when switching to any of the other settings.

Let’s go for a ride – the area I live in is mostly flat farm land and it was 7:30 at night when I rolled out of the driveway, so I didn’t get to test too much. :rant:

When running down the road, I can feel a difference when switching from positions 1 to 2 and 2 to 3, but nothing noticeable when switch from 3 to 4. I also noticed that my carb problems may be exacerbated when using setting positions 3 and 4. The motor seems to be starving for fuel between 6500 and 7000 rpms when I have the switch in positions 3 and 4. I couldn’t say for sure that I noticed this in position number 2 but I need to look a little closer to see if it is happening at a higher rpm, but I don't want to look too close and find a bigger problem at 8000 rpm or above :shock:

Standing still starts... WOW! I already cannot say enough about this ignition but setting number 2 is a "hold on tight, get you to 60 in a hurry" setting!!! I was watching the speedo and I thought it was the tach as fast as it was climbing. :mrgreen: Paul mentioned it would be good for two up riding or when running a sidecar or trailer. I think Paul has created a monster... Now the next test will be when I get it in the mountains. Next month I am heading to the Smoky Mountains of NC/TN so I think I will be doing some mountain climbing and seeing what happens in that environment.

One problem... I need to start to figure out what I need for a single carb mod then I think I need to go to https://www.maplegroveraceway.com/blog/ for a test and tune night to see what this thing will do. I am afraid of attracking any unwanted attention on the back roads of PA!

Oh, and I added to the look of the windscreen too!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
What a SUPER group of folks we have here at CGW! :yes:
I've never spoken with, or met Paul(other than in forum posts), but I know he will go out of his way to help anyone here, just from the posts that have been made, not only on the C5 ignition systems, but other things, too. What a great Oldwing supporter he has been. :thanks:
I GOTTA get some $$$$ together for one of those darn C5 thingys!!(as if I dint have enough trouble keepin rear tires on this turd as it is....) :smilie_happy: :clapping: :Egyptian:

Thanks for sharing that story, Brian!

Incredible work! Paul is doing a great job too!!

As for the removing the Vetter to get to the front two bolts, I left my two bolts off and have only been using the back two bolts for 5 years. If that tank didn't lift when we were hitting those highway speeds to Joe's, I do think it will ever lift!

Question, when in position two, does it use more gas to achieve more power too??

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122830#p122830:bqs7pl0s said:
mcgovern61 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:22 pm[/url]":bqs7pl0s]
As for the removing the Vetter to get to the front two bolts, I left my two bolts off and have only been using the back two bolts for 5 years. If that tank didn't lift when we were hitting those highway speeds to Joe's, I do think it will ever lift!

Interesting... gives me something to consider. I just have to remember that the next time I have the fairing off.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122830#p122830:bqs7pl0s said:
mcgovern61 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:22 pm[/url]":bqs7pl0s]
Question, when in position two, does it use more gas to achieve more power too??

I can't say for sure, but I would think yes. I will get a definite answer though. I have 620 miles of highway riding coming up next Saturday and I plan to run at least one tank full of gas in each position. :builder:

Capture.JPG

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122828#p122828:3gfi65lq said:
AApple » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:14 pm[/url]":3gfi65lq]
I GOTTA get some $$$$ together for one of those darn C5 thingys!!(as if I dint have enough trouble keepin rear tires on this turd as it is....) :smilie_happy: :clapping: :Egyptian:

Normally I would have some smart comment to make about this, but I feel I must refrain from writining anything for fear that something will happen to my tires before my trip. :hi:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122833#p122833:r34zblab said:
brianinpa » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:35 pm[/url]":r34zblab]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122828#p122828:r34zblab said:
AApple » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:14 pm[/url]":r34zblab]
Normally I would have some smart comment to make about this, but I feel I must refrain from writing anything for fear that something will happen to my tires before my trip. :hi:

Your restraint is greatly appreciated.... :smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:

This afternoon/evening I was able to put about 150 miles on the bike and wasn't really planning on checking anything (i was just running from one toy store to another gathering up last minute crap for my ride next weekend) but a few time I was forced to try switching things up.

Onetime I was riding up a hill behind a slower truck and another time I was the caboose of a train of cars stuck behind a tractor pulling a hay wagon, so things were creeping along. I was in 5th gear and looked down and saw less than 2000 rpm both times. Yes, I know I should have been shifting, but I was caught up in the moment so I twisted the switch to the second ignition setting. I could feel the bike pick up power and RPMs started to climb both times. Hmmm, I think that is what it is meant to do.

More to follow...

More your foot not your switch Brian :smilie_happy:
Good to feel actual change in advance curve moved torque point and improved power :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=123222#p123222:3dsnof1d said:
Ansimp » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:13 pm[/url]":3dsnof1d]
More your foot not your switch Brian :smilie_happy:
Good to feel actual change in advance curve moved torque point and improved power :good:

But I was in cruise mod and my feet were on the highway pegs... It would have been too much work to move my foot to the shifter :shock:

Seriously though, it is good to know that I have that added boost if needed.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122830#p122830:a08rcolg said:
mcgovern61 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:22 pm[/url]":a08rcolg]
Day one of my trip to NC is done. 1st tank of gas on setting number 1 - 35 mpg. 2nd tank on setting 2 - 32 mpg. Tomorrow I get to do it all over again.

I do like the second curve better even though I sacrificed 3 mpg... oh yeah I TRIED to keep it around 75. The third tank that I am on right now I didn't do so good at that. :shock:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124249#p124249:1byna3sg said:
backlander » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:55 pm[/url]":1byna3sg]
:headscratch: hmmmm, third tank must have been position five and wide open throttle. :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:

Just a little saddle sore and a case of want to get to the hotel...

One final chapter, because I told Paul I would give his rotary switch a test, and I think I did that…

I was all over the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, throughout the Nantahala National Forest, Georgia’s Six Gap’s, Moonshiners 28, the Cherohala Skyway, and the 574 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive. Up and down mountains, around more twists and turns than I can remember and all I can say is that if you have a C5 ignition and you are not using any of the other timing curves, YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE MISSING!!!!! Sure, the added torque that the C5 provides has been mentioned several times; however, what hasn’t been discussed is the “rider ease” that is provided.

The BRP is 45… ummmm, posted as 45MPH. There are places that I could really put the Old Wing through its paces on that road and then I came around a turn and had to slow down because there was a cage in front of me doing 35 mph. With the ability to switch timing curves, climbing hills in fifth gear on my bike is now possible as low as 35MPH. I simply needed to switch to another setting (usually #2) and my bike just motored along in 5th gear and when I came to a passing zone, it climbed out of that rpm and accelerated.

I mentioned it to Paul in an email that he turned my bike into a mountain goat because that is just how the bike acts. It just climbs hills. I think over two-thirds of that 574 miles I spent in cruising mode with my feet on the highway pegs and just rolling on. I just didn’t need to shift gears like I once had to. Sure I lost some fuel economy on the super-slab, but even with switching between the curves while cruising on the BRP, I was actually able to see 40 MPG on a few tanks. I’ll take the comfort over the fuel economy any time.
:party: