temp gauge problem

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastmover83

Reaction score
When I bought my bike last summer I discovered the temp gauge was a sometimes thing, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, then the other day it quit completely and the fan stopped working as well. That led me to spend last Saturday removing the carbs to get at the wiring harness so I could repair a broken fan wire going to the fan temp. switch, it broke where it passes under the front engine shroud. Now I have to solve the temp gauge problem. I don't think it is a bad sender, because I tried to get a voltage reading at the sender plug, and found none, so this leads me to believe I have another broken wire somewhere, or maybe the switch that changes from temp gauge to shock air pressure gauge is stuck in the shock gauge position. Has anyone else had this kind of problem with their 83 Aspencades? And if so what did you find to be the problem? I've also found that my temp sender has two terminals instead of one, is this common with the 83 Aspies? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 leads to the sender? My Interstate has just one.
I'm not as familiar with the Aspencade, maybe because you have digital dash? I haven't had much luck finding a Aspencade wiring diagram.

That's what I was thinking about the electronic dash being the difference in the leads, also the temp gauge changes to the shock air pressure gauges when you toggle the air compressor switch, so I will have to take a closer look at that switch. I'm going to tear into it again this weekend and run some voltage and continuity tests. Hopefully I will find the problem without having to tear into it too far. I was hoping someone had some experience in fixing this problem,so I could save myself some unnecessary head scratching. lol I think I'll install a three way switch while I'm in there, so I can run the fan manually if the fan thermal switch fails sometime in the future.

Dan! I borrowed the shop manuel from my local bike shop to fix my temp. gauge problem and while I had it, I copied the 83 Aspencade wiring diagram, I'll send you a copy Monday. I had to do it on two pages, so you'll have to piece it together.

fastmover83":2e1zftp4 said:
Dan! I borrowed the shop manuel from my local bike shop to fix my temp. gauge problem and while I had it, I copied the 83 Aspencade wiring diagram, I'll send you a copy Monday. I had to do it on two pages, so you'll have to piece it together.

That would be great fastmover, thanks!

Thanks! I have it traced down to the wiring from the green plug and the gauge, or the gauge , but I have to remove the fairing all the way before I can dig any deeper, and I have to change some wire connections to do that.

This was emailed to me by David.

I uploaded it at it's full size but it's hard for me to make out the resistance values.

tempgage.jpg

Here is the temp guage failure from the printout I sent Dan.
It's wordy,but here goes.
. Disconnect green coupler behind steering counterweight. ----- Abnormal---- Check "G/BU' wire for open circuit (guage cold) (Gauge cold)
Mesure resistance between 'G/BU" wire and "G/BI" wire sockets. or short curcuit (guage hot) to temp. sensor.
Cold engine--- Over 10 {} repair wire. Replace sensor if "G/BU" wire is is Okay
Hot engine --below 300 {}
'
Normal
'
. Check "G/BU" wire for open (guage stays cold) or
short circuit (guage "Hot") from green 6-P coupler pin to Short or open circuit====Repair wire
brown 5-P coupler at instrument panel.

(Note A)
When checking wire continuity at the instrument panel couplers, insert a paper clip through the rear side of the coupler , where the wire goes in.
If wire OK
Replace LCD Unit

( Note B )
Before replacing LCD Unit ,disconnect and reconnect the couplers at the instrument panel.
Make sure the couplers are secure and locked.
I hope this helps. It will clarify the sheet I sent Dan yeterday.
Regards!
David

Thanks for your efforts guys, but I already have that page, so far I have proven continuity from the green wire through the sender and back to the green plug, Now I have to disassemble the wiring harness in back of the counter weight, so I can get everything out where I can get at it to check from the green plug through the gauge by way of the temp. gauge and shock gauge switch. To do that I have to rewire some of the extra wiring the original owner had installed over the years, so I can remove the fairing all the way. They should have used a plug in connector instead of wiring everything in direct. But I guess it's not a perfect world. lol

If you own an 83 Aspencade and the temperature gauge stops working, you don't have to waste a sunny saturday trying fix it, just wait a couple of weeks and it will heal all by it's self. Mine did. :?: