Tent discovery.....

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
toytender01":2zbi7kzt said:
Wow great tent buta little pricy for me at this time, but I will file that away for when my ship comes in,unless it sinks before it gets here. :smilie_happy: :Egyptian:
My ship came in!!! (But it was at the airport!!!! :cheeky: ) :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

The wife picked up a ten by twenty tent at Wally World for about a buck and a quarter and if I want to, I could drive the bike into the middle area with room to spare.

I'm sorry I didn't say a little more about who I thought may be interested in the Nomad tent....I sure wouldn't be for the guy who doesn't camp, nor the casual once or twice a year camper or even a few rallyies a season but more for the person interested in extended touring in areas where you might not want to have your bike exposed. As I mentioned I have invested in the Kamp-rite convertible tentcot and am hoping that will make my camp a bit more comfy but it won't do much for hiding my rig....my dog will take care of protecting it though...;^D

I am planning an extended tour in Mexico this coming winter and for tours of a month to several I will be putting the tent up and taking it down every night or two. My experience is that for serious camping and touring I need something quality made, simple to use and will be dry and sturdy in all kinds of weather. I have camped in terrific winds on the Pacific coast of Baja that were brutal to our tent.

For me that means thinking more along the lines of purpose built. Two other riders may come with me and since they are both on solo bikes they will carry and use smaller tents. They only camp once in a while but still use quality gear.

I have a one-legged friend who is a BMWMOA rally rat and every year he spends most of the summer riding one of his motos around the US...he just re-invested in Big Agnes gear....tent, bag and pad....after a long day in the saddle he needs something easy to put up and a larger tent but something that will pack light since he rides a solo bike.

Anyway, I didn't think that link would be for everyone....I just thought if there was anyone on here who did plan on something like my Mexico tour they might like to know about it.

I saw the ad in Rider magazine and a couple friends have seen a few here and there mostly at BMW rallies.
They are half the price of a Bibler tent, and comparable to a Black Diamond or Big Agnes....not that much for a good tent...

Brian in NM

I toured Baja on XT600 almost 20 years ago. Then my wife and I did it again in a rental VW Beetle. Great place!
We love to go there again but watching those drug gangsters in the news makes me wonder.

So this tent stands up to the wind?
I bought cheapo family tent @ Target, went to the high desert and the pole snapped next morning.

Yes, it's pricy but certainly looks nice.

Hi skiri251....good bikes the XTs, we have had a 200 a 500 and a 550 but no 600...I'll bet it was a great trip...

I am not concerned since I travel to and through Mexico a lot...it isn't about us and as long as you stay away from certain areas and any of the drugs, there is little danger...

In my view much less danger than here in the US and I never run into it here either, so there you go. There have been many more US citizens killed in Albuquerque, NM.....a town I have to go to a lot.....than there have been killed in Mexico, at least since 2004 and the heaviest action in the cartel drama.

As far as the tent holding up to wind, I would have to read more about it but I think it probably is a good bet it would. Most of the better tents do. The tent I have used the most in Mexico was an REI brand, 4 person Geodome and it did very good in wind but I have seen it just about flattened once in NM along the Mogollon Rim we had to set it up in the lee of a cattle loading ramp and ride out a wind storm that was just incredible.

Here is my favorite tent....one used by a lot of outfitters and by the Alaska State Forestry service for firefighters....

https://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Timberline ... B002PAV7A0

Happy trails,
Brian in NM

Hello Brian.

I have Eureka K-2 XT. It's a 4 season climbers tent so most of the time overkill but certainly strong to winds. But it takes longer to setup.

https://greatescapessports.com/cata...n=froogle01&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=froogle

So me thinking about Mexico trip is like non-motorcyclists think about motorcycles..
It's not that dangerous if you know what you are doing, I guess. With that in mind, maybe I will go to Baja again!
Where should I get in, though? Tijuana still sounds dangerous to me.

These are my Baja photos from 20 years ago.

item.JPG

item.JPG

HI skiri251, Thanks for the photos...ooooh gets me juices flowing! I think that your Eureka tent is awesome....and as you know, perfect for the job.

Baja is certainly one of the safer places in Mexico as it always has been. I recently crossed at the Mexicali/Calexico and other than being busy, it was fine. We came back from Baja through San Luis and it took an entire 2 hours to get through....I have crossed there in the past and it was fast. I think it is a result of our tightening the border....(I have traveled all over the world and when we came back from Guatemala after having crossed 5 borders between countries the US border was the worst experience of all and we were both born and raised here).... we have met travelers from all over the world who had heard the stories about the US borders and were skipping the US in their travels around the world.

My neighbor couple just got back from whale watching and beach sitting in Baja and went as far south as Bahia Conception. They had a ball and literally did not want to come back. They crossed at San Luis going south and Tecate coming back. Personally if I was crossing from SoCal I would use Tecate....in fact there is a nice little hot springs off to the east of the road heading to Ensenada. Once we camped there and were the only ones there. A old fella came along and wanted $4 for camping which we gladly paid. Of course as you know, it is extremely easy getting into Mexico and if you are only going to Baja Norte you don't even need a tourist card and in any of the states of Baja Norte or Sur or Sonora and Sinaloa you don't need vehicle import papers. Just your Mexican insurance.

I like your analogy about Mexico and the motorcyclist...exactly! I rarely say much about it since so many people seem to be all caught up in the news drama and what they "hear", unfortunately, never from someone who goes there or lives there. I actually keep myself pretty aware of the realities in Mexico but stay away from the conversation since folks who are afraid of Mexico will argue forever as to why they should be afraid and not go...tedious and rather sad to me.

I have many friends who have chosen to live in Mexico for the peace and serenity they find there. We brought my stepmom back with a broken hip when she was 92....she went down to the mountains in Mexico every winter from Vermont to the same hotel where she and my dad wintered for 30 some years...she was just about the last of their cronies left alive and she just passed herself 2 weeks ago at 94.

Anyway...I definitely encourage you to go....it is every bit as beautiful as you remember.....and the people are as sweet and kind as you remember....
Happy trails,
Brian in NM
Brian in NM

Hi Brian,

It's unfortunate that US border crossing takes time but under the circumstances that's better than bad people coming in, I guess.

> They crossed at San Luis going south and Tecate coming back.

That's what I did 20 years ago.
Tecate is a nice little border town and of course there is Tecate cervesa. I bought a T-shirt which said "Con Tecate, todo va!"

I will consult you when I go!