Test Engine

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mcgovern61":14dbpoxr said:
AApple":14dbpoxr said:
OUCH!! :eek: That's gonna leave a mark! :smilie_happy:

I think you could prolly rig up a portable/store-able test mount fairly cheaply. As long as it's tall enough to work on the engine without having to sit on the foot pegs! A battery, and a few wires, a fuel tank of some sort, and yer good to go. I remember seeing someone post a video of someone's 'Wing engine running on the floor!

Here is that video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgJZuA_B ... re=related
(Can't seem to get the YouTube thingy to work)

But he has lots of garage space. :crying: (And an overhead chainfall)

Here is what I got:

HEY JOE How you like that video. :yes: Any Ideas :rocks: :rocks: :rocks:Thanks for posting it AApple :thanks: :thanks:

that looks like somethiong that i would do ....ive got mine still in the frame but it is hanging from a chain im fixing to take the front forks off too as there are things to do to it .....see how easy it is to do :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: might want to change to metal buckets holding the exhast :mrgreen:

I am thinking that once I check the valve springs (and probably consider swapping them out), I will need a rear cover gasket, 2 head gaskets and new oil and filter. Put the heads back on, pull the exhaust and carbs from the runner and try this engine again.

it was depressing news when you ststed that the savenger pump was clear ...i was hoping it was pluged that would have accounted for the oil pressure drop this motor showed after running a few seconds or minute like it dose ......so now something else is causing this ......

im not exactly sure how you could flush the entire inside of the motor ....

ive thought a lot on trying to figure out slop in the lower end ....you could turn the motor slowly and look for hesitation in the piston as it starts to go back down ass compared to the other pistons is all i can think of ....to maybe give an ideal that something might be wrong and wirch clylinder......maybe it will all be the same and point to the valves springs like we hope..... :mrgreen:

it was depressing news when you ststed that the savenger pump was clear ...i was hoping it was pluged that would have accounted for the oil pressure drop this motor showed after running a few seconds or minute like it dose ......so now something else is causing this .....

Well, I am going to try that same oilpressure test on the good '83 and see if the result is any different.

im not exactly sure how you could flush the entire inside of the motor ....

Already did! Before I pulled the engine, the carbs had leaked down and put a quart of gas in the oil. I ran the mixture till hot and it sure cleaned out the the pan! :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

ive thought a lot on trying to figure out slop in the lower end ....you could turn the motor slowly and look for hesitation in the piston as it starts to go back down ass compared to the other pistons is all i can think of ....to maybe give an ideal that something might be wrong and wirch clylinder......maybe it will all be the same and point to the valves springs like we hope.....

I did that too and no extra play in the pistons or bearings. Not tight as a drum but not loose enough to make noise.

Omega Man":25zkj0ek said:
Man...if I had a test motor I'd have to try rigging Webbers on both sides. :heat: This seems so much easier and cooler :rocks: than fabbing an intake.
~O~

It just don't get much simpler that that! But it looks a bit bulky for my taste. Great for show, but do I really want them "klod hoppers" hang'n off both sides like that? Probably not. But you gotta love the easy access, though! Personally, I'd like to come up with an uncluttered clean looking, simple to maintain fuel injection set up. Like maybe an early GM throttle body with just the two injectors and relatively low fuel pressure.

Omega Man":3gug0ofv said:
Man...if I had a test motor I'd have to try rigging Webbers on both sides. :heat: This seems so much easier and cooler :rocks: than fabbing an intake.

(pics borrowed from Randakks)

~O~
You would still have to fab those intakes to get those webers on as also all mechanisim to operate them.Ive heard that automobile carbs don't operate properly when motorcycles lean on curbs(they weren't build for that).At the most I would go for only one carb under the false as seen in other posts.(if there were no more oem carbs around).I think all around performance would be affected with this set up.Now probably just racing the guts out that engine (on any sunny day)that set up would do just fine (in a nice straight line)that is. :mrgreen:

Hey...I moved some stuff....now I really have a lot more room to work in the garage! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Attachments

• IMG_3173.JPG
    IMG_3173.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 125
Dang...I bet yer tired after all of that cleanin!! :smilie_happy:
Hey....every little bit helps, eh? :yes:

:hi: comonna to my house...moving that much stuff in my garage would allow me to stand ;;;;;;;;;;a broom up just outside the door :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: the wife thinks a shovel would be a better choice.....I try to keep shovels hidden :heat: :heat: :party:

mcgovern61":3t9u3rh3 said:
Hey...I moved some stuff....now I really have a lot more room to work in the garage! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Ok let me see.....you drag the spare engine closer to bike(large bath towell on top you got yourself a sturdy bench :mrgreen: ).Move the electric heater back to your liking(depending on the temp. :mrgreen: ).Now you can service the battery and rest of connectors under the side cover :mrgreen: .At least you know were your tools are at :mrgreen: .Mcgovern your good to go :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: .

Well I really cleaned the garage this time! I have decided to split the case this winter to check the lower end for play, the wrist pins and crank journals. After that, I am only keeping parts that would be useful to have and save an ebay trip like the heads, fuel pump, etc. I will most likely part out anything else on the engine that I don't think I'll need for the '83 engine.

The other option is......before I split it, the engine is available for any member for pick up! I do not need it and I need the room. (Local pick up only....it cost $276 to ship). Any takers???

mcgovern61":8q5apdlm said:
Well I really cleaned the garage this time! I have decided to split the case this winter to check the lower end for play, the wrist pins and crank journals. After that, I am only keeping parts that would be useful to have and save an ebay trip like the heads, fuel pump, etc. I will most likely part out anything else on the engine that I don't think I'll need for the '83 engine.

The other option is......before I split it, the engine is available for any member for pick up! I do not need it and I need the room. (Local pick up only....it cost $276 to ship). Any takers???
I think you'll have a visit from joedrum pretty soon :wave:

carl62cycles":va8uq1in said:
mcgovern61":va8uq1in said:

I think you'll have a visit from joedrum pretty soon :wave:
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

C'mon Joe, I'm just around the corner and you don't have enough parts yet! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Parts are only good if you need them,and priceless when ya try to find them.Ever get rid of something that you dont need,only to need it later..