Test Run Didnt Go So Well......

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief

Reaction score
Well after we worked till 4:30 In the morning trying to get the bike back together, we have failed in more ways than one. I took the bike on a short ride of less than a half of mile and besides not wanting to idle did OK. Then we 2up and was just going to cruise around the back roads and we didn't make it no more than a mile from the house and for some reason the brakes stated wanting to stick. So as we was sitting there debating on what to do the brakes eased off. So i do not know what the problem was there. Any help would be appreciated.

Second and worse thing of all which is what made me have to walk the mile back to the house to get the 4-wheeler to pull it back home was that the clutch quit. Now the question is where i had problems with the carbs and the gas going straight into the oil has this caused my problems ? and if it has am i able to possibly get some thicker oil and do an oil change and remedy this problem.

Please Help, Cuz my girlfriend and i both have a hammer in our hand !!!! LOL !!!

Hey, nice motorcycle! :good:

I don't have the answer for you as I'm still kinda new to "Wings" myself, but I'm think'n if gas in the oil was the problem for the clutch, I'd just do a regular oil change useing the normal oil you always used before.

Bummer you're haveing such a hard time. :cry:

Take one thing at a time, forget about the brakes for now.

The clutch, need more details, "the clutch quit" doesn't tell us anything.

What happens when you pull the lever?
Is there a lot of free play in the cable?
Does (or did) it seem to shift OK otherwise?

My guess without more information is your clutch came apart.

Looks like a nice bike, put the hammers away.

on the brakes it could be hoses that are bad and putting trash in the system not allowing it to return to to master cylinder after applying brakes and there could be other problems like sticting pistons master cylinder return hole pluged with debree from bad hoses ....iknow when i did my mods to my bike i had to go though several junk yard hoses till i found some that were not pluged up to work and this caused me to redo the caliper on the back to unplug it again ... i didnt have the money to get new lines like i sould have to go along with the redone brakes .......

on the other issue id say the carbs are still acting up if it wont idle good it is very hard to get the carbs right on wings .....id change the oil now and see whats up ... icant remember what youve done already .....but on wings that have not been flapping in a while it can take some time to get rings and stuff to seat in good and the best fix is riding them in so it might be more things than one for gas getting in the oil .......

sometimes a not up to snuff ignition system causes poor running at idle.....iknow on my bike it was a lot of things and not one that needed fixing ....but once that was done it ran fine .....

so id say your first ride report is not that good but it anit that bad either

looks like your going to have to dive in deeper on it to figure it out.....

dan filipi":2n949bpr said:
Take one thing at a time, forget about the brakes for now.

The clutch, need more details, "the clutch quit" doesn't tell us anything.

What happens when you pull the lever?
Is there a lot of free play in the cable?
Does (or did) it seem to shift OK otherwise?

My guess without more information is your clutch came apart.

Looks like a nice bike, put the hammers away.

When i pull the lever there is no free play at all and it feels just like one tension all the way. No difference in it.

The other thing i did while i was cking free play was the adjustment on the handle.
with the adj. screwed out where it was to start with you could pull the clutch in and put it in gear and never tell it went in.

Next, i screwed it all the way in and tried it again and when you went to put it in gear you could actually feel it go in.

I don't know on this one. I am Lost!!!

Well i tried putting it in gear to see if it still would roll. It did but with some resistance.

So, I changed the oil thinking maybe some of the gas was still in the oil and maybe creating problems, but that didn't help none that I could tell.

Next thing I done was pulled the side cover off and tried adjusting the clutch. I adjusted it out as far as I could go with it and now I am able to get it to move on its own, but I believe it still is wanting to slip.

So for now I think I am going to have to get a clutch put in it.... (If a For Sale sign don't go on it first)

Well that is how my wonderful 2 week vacation is going so far....

dan filipi":2zrzojob said:
Hey you guys are in the same city!

Maybe Andy can shoot over to your place and have a look.
I have some free time on Friday. I am no clutch expert, but I can at least compare the lever travel, etc. to mine.