thanks pdbro

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Four pages into his thread and still no info. Just his wanting someone to show their ignition improvement mod.
Thanks for your interest in high performance ignition.
If you've any technical contributions to add, I would appreciate your help in a forward-moving framework as well.
Thanks again.

quidproquo writes-
hello,
i am interested in this subject, and am keen to make a high performance ignition myself. i am under the impression though that
it is above the skillset of the average tinkerer. a lot of hi tech questions need to be answered before i have an attempt.

Maybe I should start a thread on converting the wing to jet fuel? I haven't a clue how or why anyone would want to. But I can pretend to be all knowing and wait for someone else to do it. :BigGrin:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=157938#p157938:2po20dtt said:
slabghost » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:21 pm[/url]":2po20dtt]
Four pages into his thread and still no info. Just his wanting someone to show their ignition improvement mod.
Thanks for your interest in high performance ignition.
If you've any technical contributions to add, I would appreciate your help in a forward-moving framework as well.
Thanks again.

quidproquo writes-
hello,
i am interested in this subject, and am keen to make a high performance ignition myself. i am under the impression though that
it is above the skillset of the average tinkerer. a lot of hi tech questions need to be answered before i have an attempt.

Maybe I should start a thread on converting the wing to jet fuel? I haven't a clue how or why anyone would want to. But I can pretend to be all knowing and wait for someone else to do it. :BigGrin:
:headscratch: :popcorn: :fishin:

CM just can't accept that carb needs some jetting done and is NOT plug and play out of the box on an oldwing, though he is now changing his tune some admitting a possible rich condition thanks to us...and it isn't because of spark gap Lol,,,

Captain mislead wrote:

I would double check for any air inleakage as another precaution against the backfiring heard only at the exhaust. It may be a ignition-related parts versus timing issue though.

Check the plugs for a reading. If they appear to be handling a rich condition, then no, leave the gap at the factory spec for now. The smaller gap promotes easier ignition within the dynamics of the combustion chamber.

The resistor at the coils is for the coils, ...primarily.
The condenser is what saves your points from burning up, ...primarily.
As all are interrelated, dead-on firing to the plugs in relation the cams is the most important thing now. A first is first approach, meaning mechanical timing and electrical ignition timing must be paralleled in importance so that the carb can be tuned accurately.
My experience is that when those two parallels above are met, induction tuning begins. Much frustration may come your way if the cart preceeds the horse. The engine must run near normal idle to deal with fine tuning the ignition adjustments. You don't want the ignition advance mechanism to play a role in setting base idle, so working on both the induction and the ignition to conquer the tuning of both may become frustrating if not approached methodically.

Use the factory manual and set the overall timing according to Honda.
Disconnect the throttle cable.
Start from there to find curb idle. It should idle at 1000-1100 rpm. Curb (or base) idle should be abpe to turn down to a stall at around 400 rpm on a well constructed(?) manifold combination.
Once it's idling within the above mentioned rpm, then attach your cable.

So now that you've heard it run and have ridden it, enjoy the nuances of tuning it for the potential drivability ahead.
It will get better!

And...

Try it with a freshly charged battery and take it from there.
Some recalibration may be in your future, but for now, getting it to idle within the rpm window is what I would concentrate on.
The higher rpm exhaust popping can be looked at later as well.
A fully charged battery is a good idea...

Jetting is not voodoo and no reason to be afraid of it.
We have some really good posts here to help guide you Steve.

I got lost in the verbosity. Did he just use a page to say get the ignition and battery right before adjusting the carb?

:smilie_happy: hmmmmm....let me see ...its like cm thinks in his expert opinion that a epa carb set up not to able to adjust idle mix properly is perfect out of the box.... :nea: what everyones main problem :headscratch: no one can get there epa carbs to idle dft or whatever...gee imagine that

well my jetting is huge ...i raped this carb from its epa baloney..modded back some real carb into it ..and the bike screams ...it diffinitly more carb related problems than manifold that break a single project from living up to what one wanted ...the cm 85 baloney good out of the box is the worse info ive ever read

captain writes You are partially correct.
Liquid fuel is not compressible. Attempting to do so creates enormous amounts of unwanted heat.
Air, on the other hand is highly compressible. Doing so creates heat, but only at a fraction of the costs compared to that of a liquid.
Denser air simply allows for more fuel.
Cooling the liquid fuel is about latent heat transfer to the air surrounding it. The benefits of cooling the fuel before introduction to the required air are so negligible that no manufacturer pursue's it viability.

With liquid fuel, "volatility", if fully understood, reaffirm's my statement.
Achieving a happy medium in practice is difficult. If given a choice between concentrating on the two (fuel or air), air will always win because of its compressibility.
:smilie_happy: :nea:
First statement is surprisingly correct considering the source. Liquids do not compress much if at all which is why hydraulic machines are so powerful.
but the next statement-(Attempting to do so creates enormous amounts of unwanted heat.) Really? :hihihi: So where are all the coolers on bottle jacks?
(Denser air simply allows for more fuel.) Oh really? So we can jam more fuel into humid air than we can dry air? That appears to be backwards.
(Cooling the liquid fuel is about latent heat transfer to the air surrounding it. The benefits of cooling the fuel before introduction to the required air are so negligible that no manufacturer pursue's it viability. ) Because there is no reason to cool it except to minimize volatility and we have vapor recovery in our vehicles today.
volatility of the fuel is simply it's readiness to evaporate. Which is why carburetors work to mix fuel and air to form a charge (mixture) that motors can use.

LOL....like ngw any better ......blabbing discounts about things never tried ..thats what gets me ...and then discounting people that do have experience is just rude behavior posting ...there are many who have well working singles plain and simple ...there not all hi powered ones ..many are single barrel...as for cm and his info on singles it his way or no way ..and if you do something that works you stole it from him ....the whole thread over there is just useless blabber.sheesh the forums should help. not destroy projects ...

well all i got to say is here at classic we have proved many manifold designs work ..some here have done several types and got them to work good ....

its very funny to me ...that theres still the interest by cm 85 that his set up is the one the is techniclly made to work perfect for SCC application ....sheesh

talk about full of it ....the carb is the heart of any fuel system ..not the manifold capt ....it really hurts the SCC cause having such worthless info to confuse people

personally im very proud of the impact made here by classic in the single carb center location of motor works done here ....over at ngw a discussion going on and not one mention of classic on the topic ...when classic has done more here in SCC than any other place bar none ...in a very short time ...as SCC has been going on since oldwings first came out ....no one here trying to grab :thank_you: kingship of the knowledge ...its been a group effort by many ....

hope most who try this this eventually land here ...you wont get anything but the classic way of helping in any issues we deal with here ....bad info is just mudd!!!!to the situation :thanks:

CM has had his own interests in mind the entire time. It's obvious he's been pushing his manifold for sale all along, a manifold that failed.
I'm just all for the guys that can see past that BS and built their own.