The Bike that started it all

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daze

Reaction score
Hello all allow me to tell you the story of my new project,

Roughly 25 years ago my mom and I went to visit her parents, something that we did very rarely, so I was amazed and awed one day on this trip to see my grandfather come home from work on this beautiful massive motorcycle (to be fair I was only about 8 or 9 years old, so my perspective may have been a little skewed) I knew nothing about motorcycles all I could tell was that this was a bike meant to travel across the country on. It had big cushy seats, and enough luggage to carry years and years of clothes. He told me all about his bike, and how he wore warm clothes to keep the cold out in the winter months, and how he had a CB radio, and an intercom system, all the cool things a 9 year old wants to hear about. I was in awe, if I had known who James Dean was I would have thought my grandad was cooler than him. The only thing I really knew about the bike was that it was a Goldwing, and from then on "Goldwing" defined my ultimate bike, I wouldn't be allowed to ride anything without a cage thanks to my parents fear, which transferred to me, and I never learned to ride until this year, when my wife and I learned to ride together, and we bought a small Yamaha Vstar that I've been commuting on.

Over the next 25 years, any time I would visit my grandparents, I would look at that old 'Wing sitting in the corner of the garage and wish I could take it home and bring it back to life.

This past weekend I got my wish. I am now the proud owner of an untitled, not running, dirty as hell, '81 GL1100. :music:
BUT.. the price was right, my Grandfather said I could have it, and a bag of assorted parts.

As for the details of the bike, I'm not sure exactly which model it is, it hasn't been run in at least 20 years, shortly after the first time I saw it my Grandparents moved due to my Grandmother's health, and my Grandfather stopped riding it.

So I come to you, the community of folk that know of such things, and wonder two things:

1. Where do I start? I know I need to clean it up and see if it's frozen (a possibility) but past that I'm a babe in the backwoods with no GPS signal. The plastic and metal on the bike LOOK to be in good condition, just filthy, covered in 20 years of garage dust.

2. What is it? Is there a VIN chart somewhere that will tell me what model it is, I know Honda didn't make very many models, so I'm hoping someone here can tell me. It's an '81 according to the registration card I found with the bike. It has a full fairing, with "Honda" on it, Clarion radio that looks to be factory (i.e. it's not a car radio, which is probably what my grandfather would have installed, he's "that" guy) The luggage on the rear doesn't look to be the same as the Aspencade luggage, it's Sampsonite briefcase style. The three pieces are molded to fit 3 triangular racks on the bike, but other than that appear to Briefcases. The rear backrest is separate from the luggage, and doesn't have arm rests

Edit: After re-reading the wikipedia article, I'm guessing that it's an "Interstate" as the Aspencade didn't come out until '82.
Edit #2: Found the owners manual on the bike, it's an Interstate, but I did find something odd. The bike doesn't match the owner's manual pictures, and I found the original luggage key attached to a tag of sorts. Looks like the luggage was an aftermarket universal kit. Thoughts?

Thanks for reading my story, and thanks for the help.

Congrats! :clapping: :clapping:

Looks to be an '81 Standard, with Hondaline fairing. Hope it cleans up, and still runs! :beg: :good:

welcome to classic ...it is an interstate up front ....the false tank is from a standard bike ..a bike that had no fairing ...also the mirrows being on the bars ...tell of it being a standard also .....id say granpa added the Honda fairing after it was bought ...Samsonite lugguage is something honda would actually sale at the dealerships....

Welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

'81 Standard with some upgrades such as the fairing, passenger backrest, Samsonite bags and it looks like Travelcade seat (good for long trips!).

I would start with the cleanup first. Do the brakes work or are they frozen? (Doesn't look like much rust). Pull the spark plugs out and on the left side of the engine on the back is the stator cover and a small cap that can be removed. Inside there is a bolt that you can put a wrench on to turn the engine by hand. Give that a try to see if it is frozen or loose. If the bike was indoors, there is a very good chance it is loose.

Welcome to the forum, Great story and congrats on the new project. I bought a 23 year sitting GL1100 back to life recently. After you give it a cleaning I would drain the oil and coolant then loosen the hoses,move the radiator forward or take it off and then the belt covers.
You`ll have to replace the belts anyhow and there is a nice big center crank bolt you can turn under the front covers, turn it over with the bolt before you remove the belts with the spark plugs out.
It seems the coolant will eat the head gaskets on these bikes when they sit years/decades, Mine did but it took several hundred miles to show up, If you want to nip it in the bud then you might consider pulling the heads too.
Good luck.

It is a standard, no doubt. Check the VIN number to verify. If the VIN ends with an "I", or an "A", it would be an Interstate(I), or Aspencade(A)....but with the rear turn signals, mirrors on the bars, and the tank cover, it all appears to be a Standard '81 GL1100 with a Hondaline fairing, and brackets for some other kind of saddlebags.
Still a good bike, tho!! :good: :good:

Welcome from Oz and a great piece of family history. Take it slow and you will have great success.

Welcome from Southern California! Yup, take it slow, don't force anything, stay sane, and it will be on the road soon enough! Hopefully you won't find any surprises...

Welcome

What a great gift.
Definitly change the timing belts before you try to start it up.
From your pics the radio is a clarion I.
Look at the steering column and read the vin tag-this will tell you exactly what bike you have. Hard to see with the fairing on.
After you get it going make sure you take out the three yllow wire connector-it becomes hot and meltsw-and wire the three wire together. Located on right side by the battery.
A lot of diy instructions on this site so look over them.
A lot of part can be had from napa--radiator hose-one hose will do both on this bike (cut and use both halves), belts,etc...

We all like pictures so take and put them on here for us to see.

Again Welcome

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

From what I've read here, I think it probably is a standard.

Tomorrow I'm off work, so going to start taking it apart then.

Congrats and welcome, your in good company here, many fine folks to help with your project.
These bikes are so smooth and solid they are amazing, having your grandfathers bike is so extra cool.
Good Luck

1. Take lots of well-lit digital pictures, then take more. Take them as you go. If you have a kid or your wife is interested, have them be official historian and document everything.

2. Step back, log on, and read, read, read. This site is great, but there are other great ones also. Several places with step-by-step on the resurrection of an oldwing.

3. If you are not a mechanic, consider becoming very close friends with one and supply the refreshments as he teaches you proper tools skills.

Oh, and take lots of pictures!

Well maintained, these bikes rack up over 200, 300 k miles easily. Stored dry, they should be fairly easy to resurrect. I'm working on a 1000 that appears to have been stored half-submerged. I like challenge!

When you start riding it, remember it is much heavier, more powerful, and different geometry than your other bike - give time to learn and appreciate it.

Then enjoy it for the next 20 years and pass it on to your kid. Or grandkid.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2