The Bike that started it all

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=102233#p102233:3sqazgu9 said:
pidjones » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:04 am[/url]":3sqazgu9]
1. Take lots of well-lit digital pictures, then take more. Take them as you go. If you have a kid or your wife is interested, have them be official historian and document everything.

2. Step back, log on, and read, read, read. This site is great, but there are other great ones also. Several places with step-by-step on the resurrection of an oldwing.

3. If you are not a mechanic, consider becoming very close friends with one and supply the refreshments as he teaches you proper tools skills.

Oh, and take lots of pictures!

Well maintained, these bikes rack up over 200, 300 k miles easily. Stored dry, they should be fairly easy to resurrect. I'm working on a 1000 that appears to have been stored half-submerged. I like challenge!

When you start riding it, remember it is much heavier, more powerful, and different geometry than your other bike - give time to learn and appreciate it.

Then enjoy it for the next 20 years and pass it on to your kid. Or grandkid.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

Camera battery charging; Check

I've done a fair amount of wrenching on my own cars and other bike. And thankfully one of my neighbors is in the process of rehabbing a 79 flathead.

I'm looking forward to the challenge!

Welcome and what a great reminder of your Grandad, I hope you restore her as your memory tells you and every time you look at her and ride her you will think of him for the rest of your life. I say once bitten your wing is heaven.

Yes, check the tank carefully.
Looking down through the filler neck I thought I was seeing the extent of the corrosion in my tank..wrong!
Pulling the tank out and removing the sending unit cover revealed the ugly truth.
Getting the tank truly cleaned out was worth the effort in order to get ancient rust flakes out of the bikes' "bloodstream".

It is possible to clean the tank without removing it. I did it with electrolysis. It takes a while but it can be working while you are doing other stuff. The fuel gauge sensor will come out without taking the tank out.