The Single carb mod, the truth is out of the closet

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103155#p103155:3tqx9x3k said:
Riding a Relic » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:51 am[/url]":3tqx9x3k]
Dan, some GM cars back in the 80's had a heat element underneath the carb. I think the varijet carbs used them. (POS carb) But, it is electric, it does not draw a lot of current, but can be turned on and off as desired. I think Chevettes used them, if I remember correctly. Now you might consider this as an alternative to tubing, or a supplement to it.
All we could do is find one and try it to see if it's as effective alone or good as additional heat.

After some investigating,efe grids are rather expensive but should be easy to wire in

well its seems capt discount has stated the jetting changes were doing don't apply to toms 740 DFTand DFTA carbs ...sheesh let me be clear ...if you want the bike to run as googd or better than stock im almost certain 90% to dam near 100% oldwings will need to change jetting ....what these carbs were jetted for as in motor compared to a oldwing motor is night and day differences ...

common since and the obvious makes this a statement just laughable ...its complete bs like this back up by moron minded fools with agendas that have held this super mod is the basement of failure for ever...people like this are just moronic stick in the spokes of progress....

me and dan have left the don't touch crowd and grain huge power in air gas and tube changing that these webers are so superoior to do on ....

that in itself is reasons enough to try ...its user friendly to the max ...

I wouldn't pay any attention to this sour minded liar that claims such ridicules things ... that only leads people to sub par running bike

The reason I even went after jetting in the first place was I had a bog on takeoff.
Now granted my carb is used but it's in very good condition. I don't know what a new carb from Tom would do but it makes sense that since this carb is designed for a larger engine, 1600 cc +, then it should be rejetted for best performance and economy.

Agreed and dan ill be hitting you up for your jetting recommendations soon,my setup is going to mirror yours very closely

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103168#p103168:s64u14ug said:
Dusterdude » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:39 am[/url]":s64u14ug]
Agreed and dan ill be hitting you up for your jetting recommendations soon,my setup is going to mirror yours very closely
Cool!

I'm still thinking about testing a Suburu manifold in the future:

image.php

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103168#p103168:6itu1ymf said:
Dusterdude » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:39 am[/url]":6itu1ymf]
Duster, I think plugging the power valve is well worth the control we gain in jetting.
At least it was for me.
By doing so I had to up the primary jet a small amount but I could also up the air jet.
I'd be curious how your's runs with no changes to the carb.

Are you buying one of Tom's carbs or something used?

it wont be long people who have done this will be tweaking there carb and keeping induction system up to par without giving it any measure of concern what so ever it will be so easy to deal with is what I see

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103174#p103174:1n2pmse4 said:
dan filipi » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:26 am[/url]":1n2pmse4]
Now that would be fun!
Good reason for me to hang onto that '81 engine and reassemble the halves! I can strip it down to just the halves and heads for testing different sizes!

Yep, you are right, Dusterdude. Early fuel Evap.

I would think that exhaust gas would be good, shouldn't be much of a jump to pipe into that tubing you have on the bottom of the phlenum. There are many exhaust tubing options that you could pipe off of a header. With modern regulations on exhaust gases, the EPA saves the day!!! I bet when you and joedrum finish, there is the test you could have done to prove that your system is within specs for exhaust gas emissions

Dan,i may try it with the power valve,hell they work ok on real holleys.mcgovern,i like that subie manifold and relic,due to the cost of a new efe heater,im going to try a junkyard but you can also buy low voltage heat tape for home water pipes as well,so that is in my brain too

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103173#p103173:19ipur8e said:
mcgovern61 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:18 am[/url]":19ipur8e]
I'm still thinking about testing a Suburu manifold in the future:

image.php

Another thing I see here is a C5 ignition coil right on top!

Attachments

• C5 Ignition.jpg
    C5 Ignition.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 118
Wow! Haven't been here for some time due to work and other things. Can't tell you how pleased I am to come back and find this thread. Finally, no bull and working together to solve the question we all know the answer to. I use the C5 on my old Guzzi with amazing results and one of my first thoughts was how it might help the use of a single carb on the Goldwing. I've been looking at possible options for the carb change for some time and now with the advances you all have made here I'm ready to start mine. First the type 4 manifold and then off to talk to a friend that has a good knowledge of Weber carbs he has used on small Fiat engines for years including racing. Got to pick his brain and see if I can get us any information that might help before I buy a carb. Awesome! :music:

cool im pretty sure the fiat carb is close to what we are using and in the same carb family ...I think its the 28-32 DFT weber carb ...the 740 DFTA and DFT webers are the ones that match up the best ...there a link to a new carb for a great price ..making this a really sweet deal on the pocket...start a single carb thread and lets get it going...

Latest posts