The Slug Will be On The Market - Spring 2019 (2020) (2021)..

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209397#p209397:3gwilqws said:
Rednaxs60 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:27 am[/url]":3gwilqws]
Take care of yourself. You can always live the bike world vicariously through this forum and us who foolishly keep them going! :music3: Don't leave the forum - you've got lots of expertise and experience to pass on. Cheers
Thanks Brian! I am not leaving the forum, too much fun over here to leave behind.

I also have not given up on oldwing stuff. I may yet get an engine alone and consider the carb rebuild business for 1100's. That was a lot of fun (and pretty easy to do).

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209402#p209402:77zolxs7 said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:36 pm[/url]":77zolxs7]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209397#p209397:77zolxs7 said:
Rednaxs60 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:27 am[/url]":77zolxs7]
Thanks Brian! I am not leaving the forum, too much fun over here to leave behind.

I also have not given up on oldwing stuff. I may yet get an engine alone and consider the carb rebuild business for 1100's. That was a lot of fun (and pretty easy to do).

You have a sick, twisted sense of humor!

:smilie_happy:

With the right equipment, they are easy to clean and rebuild. Wrong equipment and you will chase your tail forever! :hihihi:

:hihihi:
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209407#p209407:1x7wo08d said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:38 pm[/url]":1x7wo08d]
With the right equipment, they are easy to clean and rebuild. Wrong equipment and you will chase your tail forever! :party: :hihihi:

I am finally back at it getting her ready for sale. Well, to be honest, I started with the trailer. Greased the bearings, cleaned up the wiring and polished the plastic. The Tag A Long trailer is ready! She is outside but covered and filled with boat storage items.

I have a specific list of work to get the "Slug" ready for market:

- Repaint faux tank, side covers, fenders to original Cosmos Black Metallic
- Apply new Honda decals to those painted parts (already have the decals)
- Install all new emblems (already have the emblems)
- Clean and repaint the wheels
- Install new powder coated front brake rotors (Already have them)
- Replace front pads, touch up paint on calipers
- Finish the revised wire harness, fuse/relay panel
- Pull the '81 triple tree and install correct '82 triple tree (long story) and replace the steering head bearings (Already have)
- Install new turn signal bank angle sensor
- Remove '81 speedo/tach gauge set and install replacement '82 speedo/tach gauge set
- Potentially pull, clean and repaint engine

You are making me want the Slug Gerry. As much as I love the Rats Nest I know that she is no 82!!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214781#p214781:7c5t29hu said:
Ansimp » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:11 am[/url]":7c5t29hu]
You are making me want the Slug Gerry. As much as I love the Rats Nest I know that she is no 82!!
With the '83 engine in her, she has been an awesome ride! Lower RPM at highway speeds (compared to the '81 engine she had when we resurrected her) and on the highway she can pull a trailer forever. As a matter of fact, she rode even better pulling a fully loaded trailer. I am surely going to miss those times, but never regret that I also surely enjoyed every minute! Seasons change. I am changing (physically) with them and it is time for someone else to enjoy this old girl!

I know that it may seem like a waste of time and money to repaint her for sale, but if she is at her best appearance and running like a clock, I am under the opinion the next owner may very well want to keep her that way and try to keep her on the road.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214782#p214782:t86u5ttw said:
mcgovern61 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:44 am[/url]":t86u5ttw]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214781#p214781:t86u5ttw said:
Ansimp » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:11 am[/url]":t86u5ttw]

I know that it may seem like a waste of time and money to repaint her for sale, but if she is at her best appearance and running like a clock, I am under the opinion the next owner may very well want to keep her that way and try to keep her on the road.
:good:

I am 68 now , and I have been thinking about the same thing for years , I built the 1100 Goldwing Trike a few years ago , Never liked it much , I sold it , and a few years later I rode the Cam-am Spyder ( Reverse Trike ) … I don't really care for the Can-am Eng. and the Company , BUT they Ride and Drive like a $100,000 sports car …. and I have been thinking about building another Goldwing Trike , ( Reverse Trike ) 2 front wheel , 1 rear wheel . . I even thought about building one , using a front wheel drive Car Eng. and Trans. with Automatic Trans. …. has reverse , no shifting , and easy to build , compaired to the Trike I built a few years ago.... might be a thought ?????

yes , be easy to build , because the Eng, Trans, and Steering , would all be mounted , just cut the front of the frame off and trim it all down to just build the body , and refigure the steering , … I think it wouldn't be near the work of the Rear End and Frame I built the last time , figuring the Gearing , Driveshaft , brakes , and the Reverse was a big deal too . . the fact that all the gearing and Reverse would be done , is a big thing.

There is a company in Snohomish Washington that makes a dual leaning front end that replaces the front forks without making any mods. It is very well engineered and uses hydraulics to hold level when stopped. Jay Leno did a video a while back and was quite impressed. I can't remember the company name. It's something like "Leaning Bike".

All great suggestions! But my issue is that my L4-L5 disc has blown up and into the L4 vertebrae and riding any vehicle on two (or three) wheels puts me at a very high risk of total disc failure from sudden shock (pot holes in the road, unseen bumps as well as just pushing the bike backwards). I love my Slug! But my future requires me to not take any more chances with my back.

Bikes are easy to fix, we are not. You do what you have to for your health. Probably need an air ride seat on your boat as well. Just don't disappear from the forum, you have a lot of knowledge to pass on. Cheers

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214912#p214912:ocledfej said:
mcgovern61 » 47 minutes ago[/url]":eek:cledfej]
All great suggestions! But my issue is that my L4-L5 disc has blown up and into the L4 vertebrae and riding any vehicle on two (or three) wheels puts me at a very high risk of total disc failure from sudden shock (pot holes in the road, unseen bumps as well as just pushing the bike backwards). I love my Slug! But my future requires me to not take any more chances with my back.
What caused this Gerry?

What caused this Gerry?

Combination of things. Born with skeletal issues that have worsened over time. The condition where the disc blew through the vertebrae is known as Schmorl node.

Quick definition, "Schmorl nodes, also referred as intravertebral disc herniations, refer to protrusions of the cartilage of the intervertebral disc through the vertebral body endplate and into the adjacent vertebra. The protrusions may contact the marrow of the vertebra, leading to inflammation."

Many times, Schmorl nodes are not painful. But, with my level of arthritis, the L4-L5 disc also herniated forward and sideways leaving very little space between the L4-L5 vertebrae. When the area is inflamed it crushes nerves that cause significant pain and lose of use in my right foot (no sciatica pain thank goodness!). When my right foot loses strength, I never know when it can pop up. Think about stopping at a red light and trying to plant your feet and finding out your right foot has no strength to even hold my foot let alone the weight of the bike.

That is the story on one disc. I have many herniated discs and significant arthritis in most of my spine. Movement keeps me as limber as possible. I am still a Licensed USCG Captain and I have to protect the balance of my back condition so that I can keep my License active and be able to perform ordinary tasking for shipboard work.

As for my own personal boat? There is a reason we have a wooden boat. It handles waves very smoothly with no jarring. Slower speeds than most fiberglass boats that jumps waves and fly along at 30 to 40 miles per hour. Our top speed is just under 20 miles per hour and often we keep it at 14-16 miles per hour. Lastly, my seat cushion on the boat is 4" soft foam. No shock passing through there.

BTW, I finally opened the sealed package that has the new vinyl decals and pinstripes. Man they are nice! Got them for Christmas 2 years ago and still have not had a chance to paint the bike and install them. The work I do this winter to prep the bike for sale will really be enjoyed knowing it will most likely be the last time I work on the old girl.

It has been great memories and will always remember them without regret. From the time we got that poor basket case and my girls worked right along side and helped put this old girl back on the road. That was over 12 years ago now! My youngest was 10 years old then:

image.php

Now she is 22, has her own car and only looks back fondly on those times, but works too much to even think about prepping the old girl for sale.

oh, I'm sorry about your back problems , but, I sure understand , I have had 4 major Back Surgeries , last one they removed 3 disks and put what they call Cages in there , with a metal rod on each side , and plates and screws in my back , the xrays looks like the building plans for a Buick Roadmaster ….LOL … but , I really do understand . and I have been thinking about the time I have to do the samething.,... Good Luck .

Cleaned up the new triple tree and prepped for painting. Once the tree is painted, the process of disassembling the bike will start beginning with the front end. New steering bearings, replacement triple tree, new angle sensor for the self cancelling turn signals (that have not worked since 1997), new powder coated rotors, new brake pads, replacement 1982 left side grip with self cancelling turn signal and the final steps for installing the new wire harness.

Latest posts