Time to get a Big Boy Bike

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhurt

Reaction score
Well I just turned 40 this year and decided that my current mini rocket (Yamaha R3) wasn't maybe the best bike for me anymore. While I still really enjoy riding the little rocket, it lacks the comfortable highway cruising. It also doesn't haul my wife or daughter on the back very well and they both enjoy fighting over who gets to come with me. I started hunting for a big bike. Due to insurance costs I needed to find something pre-1987, and I wanted a full fairing bike with bags. I stumbled across this beauty about 80 miles from me.

It has new tires, brakes, hoses, cables, carbs are done, pretty much everything, previous owner had an emotional attachment to the bike because it belonged to a good friend of his that passed away and the family gifted the bike to this gentleman. He kept it in storage for a couple years and then had it completely gone over last fall. With $2200 in repairs done to it. He then put on about 60 miles and parked it for the winter. This spring he decided he could possibly part with it so it went for sale. When we finished the deal he had tears in his eyes and made me promise to take care of it and send him pictures of it when I get a chance to travel places with it. So either he was a great actor or legit cared about the bike and the memories it gave him.

Here is the bike. I just picked her up thursday and rode it the 80 mile trip home last night in 35 Fahrenheit temps and winds gusting to 25mph. I noticed a little bit of a wobble from time to time on the highway but nothing that was unreasonable. I've done some investigating already and think that it could be a tire pressure issue or a front fork pressure issue, I am still trying to figure out if i have air in the front shocks or if they have been replaced with progressive springs.

I am super excited to put some miles on this old girl and the wife and daughter can't wait to get out for a cruise too.

Attachments

• IMG_4291.jpg
    IMG_4291.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_4293.jpg
    IMG_4293.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_4294.jpg
    IMG_4294.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_4333.jpg
    IMG_4333.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_4334.jpg
    IMG_4334.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 169
First, welcome to the club. A ton of knowledge and experience here. I've had my '81 for 30 years and it'll likely take me to the end of my riding days. I rebuilt my front forks last year and it was not all that difficult; made a huge difference. I used to run 20psi in the front until they started leaking. Replaced the springs with Progressive springs, replaced the bushings and used 20W50 oil and now use no air pressure. Others suggested that the oil might be too thick and would be a harsh ride, but I have found it just fine for my very easy-going style of riding. If you take good care of that bike, you'll never need another one. Good luck, Dave

Welcome from Oz and congratulations on getting my preferred year Gl1100. :good:

Welcome and is the weight still on the front end?

Sent from my LG-US601 using Tapatalk

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209480#p209480:195swvvv said:
Dusterdude » Today- 12:01[/url]":195swvvv]
Welcome and is the weight still on the front end?

Sent from my LG-US601 using Tapatalk

Yes I checked that and it is still mounted in there. I didn't even know about it until I read a few forums... Seems the PO may have got taken advantage of by the shop that supposedly did all the work. I saw the bill for the repairs and I am not totally convinced they did everything they say they did.. That being said the bike will go into my garage this week and I will give it a personal once over just to make sure everything is up to snuff... I think I will also be doing the timing belts just to be on the safe side. Does anyone know a part number for the tensioners or is that something that is no longer available?

Somewhere there is a nice write-up on replacing the tensioner pulleys with bearings (from Amazon) several years since I did ut, but pretty straight-forward. They give about five ways to do it - I turned down bolts to run through the center and it worked great on my GL1000.
6527eedba427f3ce4c5d4f9e5319bb5c.jpg