Timing belt change went fine

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkwilson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced my belts over the weekend using Octane's excellent 'how-to' over at the nakedgoldwings forum. Everything went really well- I took my 'new-to-me' bike out today for the first ride since I rode her home ( from my neighbor's house about a quarter mile). SWEET!!!
Still have the 30-yr old tires so max speed was around 25. Tomorrow she goes to get her new rubber. Just a couple of suggestions when doing the belts-
Before you take anything apart check out the way it is already put together. Check the tension of the belt on the tensioner side AND the tension on the other side. That way you have general idea of what you should have when you've done the replacement. With all the marks lined up and the new belts on I had the belts one tooth off on the non-tensioner side (too loose). When I tried to tighten it the belt just kept skipping teeth.
I ended up putting the new belt on (all timing marks lined up of course), clamping the belt to the cam sprocket with Vicegrips ( just tight enough to keep the belt from slipping a tooth). Mount the tensioner w/ spring but with loose bolts. Grab the belt on the non-tensioner side with pliers and force it over the crank sprocket so that the next tooth catches. Hold the belt on the crank sprocket to keep it from slipping then slide the belt up over the tensioner pulley. Tighten the tensioner bolts. This will give you the proper tension on the non-tensioner side.
I'm a newbie so if this is bs let me know but it worked for me- the bike fired right up and like I said I had my first ride this AM.

Can't wait to pick her up with the new tires. I'm going to be doing a lot of putting around at first-it's been a LONG time since I had my last bike. I know a GL 1100 probably wasn't the best choice to get back into it but, hey, when I saw her I had to have her- it was love at first sight. I'm a LOT older and hopefully a little wiser than when I was riding my 2-cycle pocket rockets!

It's amazing how many jump on a Gold wing after being off a bike for MANY years, 30 for me!

New tires will make a world of difference on the ride! Remember, new tires are a bit "slippery" so no scraping the pegs in the twisties for the first 100 miles.

dan filipi":3jm875qx said:
Remember, new tires are a bit "slippery" so no scraping the pegs in the twisties for the first 100 miles.
:doh: NOW ya tell me! :Doh2:
:hihihi:

Good to hear your belt job turned out well, Kirk!! :clapping: :clapping:
I also had been gone from 2 wheelin for about 25 years, and got back into it on a 'Wing. Nuttin wrong with that at all. After a few miles, it'll be just like an old friend. :good:

AApple":18hv1vzv said:
dan filipi":18hv1vzv said:
Remember, new tires are a bit "slippery" so no scraping the pegs in the twisties for the first 100 miles.
:doh: NOW ya tell me! :Doh2:
:hihihi:

Yeah, the shop mounting the tires is suppose to tell you this.

Went to pick up the bike after the tire change this afternoon and guess what- it POURED down rain for about 20 minutes right as I was getting to the shop. The service manager told me- 'Oh, by the way, riding those new tires is going to be just like riding on ice...'. Just what I wanted to hear seeing as this was going to the third time I've ridden in 30 years! I wandered arround the shop for a half-hour or so then I went for it. About 15 miles home so I resisted the impulse to scrape the valve covers in the curves- Yeah right! I was just trying to get her home in one piece with the shiny side up!

That how to by Octane is a good guide to follow that's how did mine when I got it.
I think a lot of us got back into riding on the old Goldwings. I hadn't ridden in 20 years and got my 81 almost 2 years ago the 1st year was ride it work on it ride it work on it making it safe and fixing things from the previous owners. Now I just ride and do some normal maintenance and upgrades these are very dependable bikes.

I'm working my through her-

I've done belts, flushed the rad and changed the coolant, Now new tires so I take a ride without constantly thinking about the front tire blowing out. Got my air and oil filters today so the air filter is on and the oil gets changed this weekend. Forks still hold air and no more oil on the right front. I know the fork oil still needs changed, Can you change the rear shock oil?- the rear end gear oil needs changed. The brake fluid needs changed and pads checked.

Any other suggestions? Besides ride it- I know that- I just don't wan't to hurt either my bike or me !!