Timing/split timing/1,3 right side head spark knock

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRAFTMAN6001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello again,

Just to give a quick update I've been on vacation and it is real hot out.. Now I have parked both bikes the 78 and the 77. I have been looking into this split timing deal due to spark knock noise I can't seem to get rid of. Being that the engine fires 1/3 first then 2/4 I'm getting spark knock from the right side. If I retard the timing it go's away some. But I've read that in setting the timing dead on the timing setting marks (eye hole) this causes spark knock. I've read that if you set the timing 2 degrees up or down this will stop this noise from happening. The only issue I have is in knowing how far this really is. Is it two teeth on the cam gear from the mark on the cover or is this something else. Has anyone ever ran across this issue with setting the timing to (--F--) on both coils? Can I make a degree wheel of do I need to buy something? Anyway the bike is parked for the summer (77) till I get this figured out.

the timing belts them self have always been the split timing issue ...cam wooble and all is just boloney ...because of compression belts are always trying to back up ...so belts have to be tight to point of not over tight ..these are timing belts made to replace chains and there great at that ...but suffer hugely from to looose....no if you points advancer and it springs and all is second thing that can cause problems ..one weaker than other all it takes there too ...causing different advance on pistons at givin rpm ..quit sensitive thing there ....to me split time or making timing off is no fix ..just dive into parts that are there and right them honda made the parts to work ....then there always carbs and the story goes on ...why im c5 and proggressive carb cant beat the the two ....

Check Randakks for a detailed explanation. The split timing gets rid of it for my bikes. Nine out of ten would never catch it because you get it correct on T1, then have to roll it over to the next T1 to see the difference.