Tire Width

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zcarron

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is a proper way to measure tire width but when I measure the tred from side wall to side wall on the 140/90/16 on my Vulcan and on my Goldwing there is 3/8''difference in width.With the Goldwing being that much wider.Wing is a Dunlop 404 and Vulcan is a Met ME880.I think this may be most of my problem with the tire on the Goldwing rubbing.Then it could be a diff in rim size.I know the spacers are on right.There is no other way they could go on.

Ron :mad:

zcarron":3squyozw said:
Yea I was thinking the side walls might be weaker on the 404.I'm not sure how you read the numbers on the tire to know when it was manufactered.

You will see a 4 number stamp into the side of the tire. The first two numbers stand for how many weeks into the year and the last two are which year
:salute:

zcarron":2dmkcquz said:
The only no. I found that made any sence was NA7M 3207.Maybe Aug. 2007?

Sounds like it to me, I remember mine having a 4 digit mix of numbers and letters before it too :good:

i dont think he meant that the tire was new.. I'd be pretty pissed off if a store sold me a 3 1/2 year old tire :rant:

I think I bought the tire in Mar. of 08.I discovered the tire rubbing toward the end of last riding season.It may have been doing it sometime before I found it.I know I was surprised by this because I put this tire on because the previous tire was rubbing on the right side.This will be the third tire because of this problem. :Awe:

Try 40 psi in the tire and see if you can stop it rubbing. Also look from underneath to see what is rubbing. It may be something you can move just a little.

For whatever reason the 83s are more prone to this than other years.
The 404 is the wrong tire for that bike,in dunlop you should be running a 491 or E3.The 404 will rub on 83s.I have seen this many times.

I have the tire ready to come off so I am going to put a small dent where it is rubbing so I won't have this problem again.Right now this will be the best solution for me. Buying a new tire again just isn't an option for me right now.I will make sure not to buy the wrong tire again.You can believe that. :rant:

Well I took the tire off and pulled the brake support arm.You could plainly see where the tire had been rubbing.I used a hammer and made a dent there.I put a slight bend in the arm but I new that would happen doing this.So I used a straight edge on the side using a rubber malet and got it good and straight.It went back together well and there is no more rubbing.I sanded and painted the arm so I will be able to see if it touches any where again.I didn't get a chance to ride it yet but before it would rub even on the lift.I am praying I will not have to take that tire off anytime soon.It was a pain in mthe a#$$# to get the tire out and in even with the air out. :mrgreen:

Whoever is selling you guys 404s for the 82-83 wings should be shot.And then fired.
It dont take rocket science to read the weight rating of that tire,and consider the weight of the bike,wet,loaded,plus rider,plus pillion,and realizing how much of that weight is over the rear tire.

the 404 for that bike is rated at 677lbs(E3 is 930lbs) My bike,wife and me tip the CAT scale at 1250 not packed for a trip no trailor and no sidecar.Just me the wife and bike on a sunday ride,full of gas.At least 800 of that is on the rear tire.

No it doesnt rub on the 82s like the 83s but it is still a under rated tire for the job.I have spent hundreds of dollars on safety gear like helmets,jackets,riding pants,gloves...Im not skimping on the the part that holds the bike to the ground,the price differance is not enough for that chance.

The last guy I talked to that had 404s installed on his 83 (rubbing)went back to the installer with the specs from https://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com on the 404s and a attitude and they replaced them with E3s for a measely $70.00 differance.They apolagized and gave him full credit on the 404s and free labor installing.

Aside from the danger aspect the life of a touring tire justifys the extra cost.I had 14,000 miles on my last set of E3s(5,000 more than I got on E2s)and the only reason I replaced them then was a nail I shoved in a sidewall.

Sorry for the rant,but since the new E3 has replaced the E2 alot of tire guys are substituting 404s in there place.Thats OK on some but not these.Somebody is going to get killed with one of these tires on these bikes.I have wacthed a bike go down with a blown rear tire,and I dont care to ever see it again.Almost made me quit riding.

I really appreciated this thread. I went with Dunlop recommendation for my 83. They recommended the Elite 3 there new number for the 140/90-16 is MU90B-16 and the load rating has been increased on that tire.

The tire that was on my 83 was a Metzler Marathon and it was 130/90-16. The tire blew at over 70 mph and pealed the rubber off of it. I was able to bring it to a stop without too much difficulty but this was my first experience with a tire blowing out. I have had flats before but never a blowout. It was the wrong size tire for the bike and I should have noticed that.