To document or not to document, that is the question.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montecman

Reaction score
I will be building and installing a hydrogen booster for Melba. Would anyone like me to document any of it? Right now I'm gett'n 44mpg mostly highway driving. I expect to get 60 mpg when i'm done. Let me know so I can do it right, I'll be starting the project soon. I'll also be building 2 more full size ones for our Land Rovers. I expect to go from 17mpg to 25-28 mpg. :yahoo:

ive been wondering about this setup myself. how much draw on battery where to put it . im on board with any info you have or want to discuss. im realy trying to get off the grid where i live so im into hydrogen,solar,wind,wood gasification and other techs for power and water independence

I'm with Dan, definitely document it. Someone might want to do the same thing on down the line and it would be a great help to them.

The day I traded for my Goldwing , I filled it up with Gas a few miles from where I got it...... from there to my house was about 50 miles , and it used almost a tank full of gas..... It was running rough at times, and I'm sure the Carbs are in bad shape , me and my wife brought her home and I said if this thing burns this much Gas all the time we could drive an SUV.... :smilie_happy: the 750 I traded for the Goldwing got about 50 mpg ... and I thought the Goldwing might not get as much as it did ,.........but ....after burning a Tank full that fast......But , anything around 50 mpg would be great.

Hey sledge, Goldwings get between 35-42 MPG on average or about 150 miles per tankful (including going over into reserve for a few miles). Yes, your carbs are drinking in the stuff! :roll:

On top of documenting it, ya might also want to patent it.....before someone else steals the idea/design, and make millions off of YOUR hard werk!
I'm curious meself....

my carbs and electrics got so bad once that i could drive 1990mercury cougar supercharge xr7 and get better gas milage than the wing. i had 82 750f honda it sure was good on gas 50mpg

I got interested in hydrogen when the gas price got over $4 and got hooked up with a container and plates.

Our aim was to get a small generator running solely off hydrogen.

It took quite alot of power to bubble, like 15 amps. I read the best flow is at 20 amps so I cant see this working on a 4 cylinder 'Wing with the stock stator. Possibly with an external alternator but the increased load on the engine to produce that 20 amps might make the increased mpg potential a wash.

I sound kind of negative about it but I'm not. This is just my take on it so far.

There's a guy just a few blocks from me has lettering down both the sides of his truck HYDROGEN. He says he gets about 10% increase. He had just pulled up and parked. He popped the hood for me so I could look at it and I found he didnt even have it turned on.
I pretty much lost interest after this and reading online reports of only around 10% increase, that's just 2 mpg increase if your getting 20 now. Hardly seems worth the maintenance of the system involved.
On the other hand, a 10% increase from 40 would be 44 so that may be worth the effort.

There are those that claim a much higher increase so it has potential I suppose.
I think it's those claims that keep people buying the kits.
I think to get REALLY good gains the timing and fuel mixtures have to be tweaked.

Dont let what I've written here change your mind to build a system because I'll buy one from you!

ive seen this info myself and think it could be very useful on our older wings but i think you would have to have a poor boy alt upgrade to power it to get the full benefit . i think the design would need to change to find a place to put it. like you said time to mess with it. the whole idea that you can create fuel out of water is huge im looking into solar power cells set up to do nothing but create hydrogen to run generator to power my home when the grid goes down witch seems to go down first and fixed last here in the southern backwoods of indiana. i might be considered a wacko but im trying to be less dependent on such a foolish world

joedrum":1b0wl666 said:
ive seen this info myself and think it could be very useful on our older wings but i think you would have to have a poor boy alt upgrade to power it to get the full benefit . i think the design would need to change to find a place to put it. like you said time to mess with it. the whole idea that you can create fuel out of water is huge im looking into solar power cells set up to do nothing but create hydrogen to run generator to power my home when the grid goes down witch seems to go down first and fixed last here in the southern backwoods of indiana. i might be considered a wacko but im trying to be less dependent on such a foolish world

This is basically a fuel cell. We have designed fuel cell boats, but the concept is expensive to keep up. The part they do not tell you is the cell must remain upright to produce the gas! What we have found is that the cost in energy to produce the gas is equal to the potential savings so it ends up awash except now you are paying for the upkeep of the extra equipment.

best ive ever got was 46mpg on a trip all interstate running . even when i geared down the rpm at hyway speed the milage stayed the same. seems like anything over 40mpg is a geat running bike

This question comes up often especially when the gas prices start to inch up.

My take on the expected mpg should be 40-45.
Mine gets 43 pretty consistently.
Some claim 50-58 US mpg but I dont think that's even possible with this engine.

If your getting down to 30 your either doing nothing but stop and go in traffic or there are other problems like low compression, tune up, carb problems.

Take a look at your plugs, they tell alot of the engine condition.
Here's a post with a couple links about reading the plugs https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/v ... ilit=plugs

Dan you are right on regarding reading your plugs. Now mine are running a bit rich and I’m considering leaning the carbs out. However I don’t want to go too lean obviously. I took it in our shop and she is running about 11 to 1 fuel air and that for most engines is way too rich. I would like to get it down to 13 to 14 to one.
My question is this, have any of you experimented with leaning the carbs out?

OldWrench":g0dwjh1n said:
Dan you are right on regarding reading your plugs. Now mine are running a bit rich and I’m considering leaning the carbs out. However I don’t want to go too lean obviously. I took it in our shop and she is running about 11 to 1 fuel air and that for most engines is way too rich. I would like to get it down to 13 to 14 to one.
My question is this, have any of you experimented with leaning the carbs out?

Usually running too rich is caused by too high float level, these carbs will also run too lean with too LOW float level.
I had a problem with number 2 carb running too rich and found the float valve was non Honda. What was happening was the needle needed more pressure to stop the flow. Since I didnt have a Honda needle and seat I compensated the float level adjustment little by little and measured how much gas was in the bowl compared to the others. This has worked for 10k miles but that carb is starting to act up again.

If your certain the fuel level is exactly where it should be and the needle and seats are not leaking by I'd suspect the stock jets are warn causing the over rich.
Mine as it is will ping when hot under a load and I'm sure it's running borderline on the mixture judging by reading the plugs.