To those who have lost a timing belt...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
littlebeaver":2uetboq2 said:
Sure you will have those covers off in no time flat..I alway's put the inner bolts back in but I know there are lot's that don't.. :grin: I like those ratchet wrenches for that.. :grin:
Same here It might take some time but its worth it, if the only bolt holding the cover should eventually get loose :Awe: On the plus side without the 2 inner bolts... will make the bike go around 0.000001 miles faster :whistling:

carl62cycles":1lik360d said:
littlebeaver":1lik360d said:
Sure you will have those covers off in no time flat..I alway's put the inner bolts back in but I know there are lot's that don't.. :grin: I like those ratchet wrenches for that.. :grin:
Same here It might take some time but its worth it, if the only bolt holding the cover should eventually get loose :Awe: On the plus side without the 2 inner bolts... will make the bike go around 0.000001 miles faster :whistling:

Yeah any "extra" weight you can shed helps the go fast factor :smilie_happy:

I have heard of guys taking the center bolts out and cutting them off and j-b welding them back in the hole to make it look like there still in.

medcoman":mzev15j8 said:
I have heard of guys taking the center bolts out and cutting them off and j-b welding them back in the hole to make it look like there still in.
I did had my concerns about it but if Joe Drum says it's good, then that's good enough for me..I put the dummy bolts in the inside holes, the covers come off in a flash now...

I'm a little concerned the one outer bolt could snap or strip threads from stress or come loose from vibration but Joe's roads are gravel......I guess that answers that question.

And if the cover does come off. What harm would it cause other than you need another cover? :headscratch:

slabghost":x4mejrqf said:
And if the cover does come off. What harm would it cause other than you need another cover? :headscratch:

Coming off at 70mph with the belt and gears right there could get ugly if the bolt were to snap and the cover get jammed against them.
I know it's easier to not put those 2 center bolts in but for what it's worth and what could happen..........you be the judge.

I suppose anything is possible, but it's very unlikely for the bolts to come loose or come off, I will report if anything happens to change for sure..I was big on using both at first but after Joe Drum mentioned it I tried it and it made things move right a long.. I have read of others on other sites doing it as well..I would say that if someone is uncomfortable using just one bolt then they should use the two bolts that go there, as Mr. Honda thought it was a good idea to have two....

you guys are getting out there ....those bolts have there own collar machine in the bolt ....its rather hard to conceave it coming off ...the two timing belt covers interlock with gaskits and theres a bolt on either end ....its not coming off unless there some sevear trauma .....

to me it means that the belts get looked at often and is a part of regular matinence ..... :mrgreen:

Well, I know this much, I can always put those bolts back in, and I may just do that now...I didn't ruin the original bolts using them for dummy bolt heads...I used different bolts..

You guys are scaring the hell out of me on this subject, thought it was as simple as changing a timing chain on one of my old cars, but you guys are making it sound pretty complicated, guess I need a spare motor to play with first. :hi:

Timing chains are a bit more work but there is usually only one. These bikes have two timing belts and both have to be right. Most motors will tolerate one tooth off. Some will not I've read. Backing off all the valve adjusters before following the book procedure is a good practice. It can take a few tries to get everything line up right sometimes. Once it is then is the time to set the valves.

honda makes, and sells, a special wrench for the job. long, about 2 feet, with a ratchet on one end and a 10mm on the other, and the whole thing is only about 3/16" thick. i have one, and its slick. you can remove the center bolts from the outer edge of the timing belt cover. a very easy job.

cyborg":2btkixi9 said:
honda makes, and sells, a special wrench for the job. long, about 2 feet, with a ratchet on one end and a 10mm on the other, and the whole thing is only about 3/16" thick. i have one, and its slick. you can remove the center bolts from the outer edge of the timing belt cover. a very easy job.
:good: :good: :good: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: