Trac forks

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfrazi1111

Reaction score
Hey there. I have an 82 gl110 that has a bent fork and I'm pulling the forks off of an 83. The 83 has the trac forks on it and the 82 doesn't. are there any problems that I should be looking for when swapping parts? I'm new to the wing world. I'm hoping I can get some info from you guys.

Is there any way to delete the trac system on the forks? I have to swap forks but I have no interest in rebuilding g the trac system if it needs it. I have read some places that the parts to rebuild trac are going to run me $150. That's a little ridiculous to me. Can I turn this system off or am I looking at a doomed swap?

Does anyone know if the axles are different on the trac forks? Am I going to need to change from comstar to mag wheels? Also does the braking system work differently from 82 to 83 models?

The axles are the same. The only difference in the brakes would be the caliper mounting brackets. You should be able to use your '82 calipers. Wheels and rotors should all interchange, except for the Aspencade, which uses different brakes.

Use your 82 calipers.
The 83 has one caliper with 25mmpistons and one with 32mm because of the linked brakes.
If you use the 83 speedo snail-drive, you'll need the 83 cable. The axle is the same.

My 82 has 83 forks, wheel and speedo drive. Kept the 82 calipers, bolt right up!
There was no difference with the 82 wheel on it, rotor is the same unless it was an Aspencade donor.