Trip to Big Bend Park and area....

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bk2valve

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Just a quick trip and gear report...
On the 5th of April a couple guys and myself mounted up and rode from truth or Consequences, NM to Terlingua, TX and spent 8 days in that general area. I have friends down there, some may ring a bell, Ara Gureghian and his dog Spirit, Voni and Paul Glaves (Voni recently got her one million miles on a BMW award along with Ardys Kellerman, on the Million Mile Highway in CO), and Doug Crow, a longtime friend who was my riding partner in Alaska for many years.
My riding buddies on this trip rode a Honda Shadow and a BMW R1200GS.
It was a great ride and the Big Bend area is always outstanding and stunningly gorgeous. It did blow and rain a bit but mostly at night when we were under tents and tarps.
The main thing I want to pass on is that my new Kamp Rite collapsable tent cot worked like a charm and I slept dry, warm and comfy every night....

Another little tip I learned from Paul was the use of a recycled "wine box" bladder as a in-camp water container...you can put it in a plastic bag to go fill it and carry it back to camp and it packs very, very small....nice cheap tip for the future...
Brian

Attachments

• config3.JPG
    config3.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCN0122.JPG
    DSCN0122.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 162
  • DSCN0121.JPG
    DSCN0121.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 164
Hmmm.....camping without kids. Wonder what that's like?

LOL, it is absolutely fantastic. But I would not let kids stop me, in fact it encouraged me....I had some of the best remembered long term camping trips with my two sons....

One was our first trip to Alaska in a VW bus in 1976 with a 5 year old and a 2 year old....it was fantastic...took us 3 months from Cheshire, OR to Delta Junction, AK and there wasn't a road we didn't drive or a lake or river we didn't fish. Even drove out to Glenora past Telegraph Creek, BC and up to the border of the Yukon and Northwest Terr. in the old Canol pipeline road. Unbelievable summer!

The second was two summers later and we had a small 1955 travel trailer I had refurbished and an old 1966 GMC 1 ton logging crummy to pull it (Peterson's Travel Trailer magazine published an article on us and the trip) We took 2 months on virtually the same trip but with even less money and I had to make jewelry in the campgrounds to sell for gas and fought a wildfire near Atlin, BC (Sloko River Fire) where I took a back/neck injury that kicked my ass 10 years later and took me out of the job force when I turned 57... the kids were awesome and actually remember that trip in pretty good detail.

I have never let anything get in the way of a great life outdoors....it has been a hell of a run. :grin:

If I can keep rolling I look forward to taking my grandkids camping in the sidecar rig! :beg:

Brian

I love cooking while camping, there is just something about it. One could cook the same foods the same way in the their backyard but it would taste as good as while actually camping.

~O~

you hit the nail on the head with that. Boiled camp coffee and bacon frying in cast iton skillet over an open fire on a crisp clear morning. I need to start packing. :moped: :moped:

there's only one thing better than camping like that :good: , and that's fishing and camping... :clapping:

littlebeaver":13admrac said:
there's only one thing better than camping like that :good: , and that's fishing and camping... :clapping:

Is a soft bed at the Holiday Inn

Status
Not open for further replies.