trunk won't open on my gl1500

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denver

Reaction score
Replaced rear light bar, (stock one) on my 91 1500 trunk, all looked well, so I closed trunk lid. Won't open, now, Bag's work fine. Must have bumped something, probably something simple. How can you open lid if lever's don't work??? Anyone with a solution?

Start with a good stiff coat hanger.

1. Bend a 180 degree hook in one end with about a 1/2 inch radius.
2. Measure down 8 inches from the hook and bend 90 degrees in line with the hook(this not only governs how far the hook goes in but tells you which way the hook is pointing).

Okay here is where luck comes in. The trunk latches are actuated by a rod that runs across the inside of the trunk at about the same height as the key lock. It connects the center lever and the key to the actual latches. You're going to catch this rod with your hook and pull down.

3. Under the trunk where the three latches are, insert the hook between the left saddlebag lever and the trunk lever towards the rear of the slot. Go in until about one inch of the coat hanger is still out with the bend pointing to the rear.
4.Work it around and feel for the rod, anything the hook catches is worth a pull. You have to pull a little hard but not hard enough to straighten out the hook. Sometimes the trunk is a little hard to open due to gasket pressure on the latches, if you think you are pulling on the rod but the trunk won't pop, try putting a little pressure down on the lid to relieve the pressure on the latches. This usually is not necessary.

When it opens, and it will, look to see what is wrong before it is closed again, that will really make you mad.

Hope this helps. :salute:

~O~

My problem was, the clip that grab's the rail, was bumped off. Leaving the lever of no value till it's hooked back onto the rail.

Latest posts