tunning carbs crash bar issue

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mysteryrider

Supporting Member
Reaction score
when my mechanic tuned my carbs I helped and we had issues with getting the crash bars far enough out of the way to screw the tubes in. I am planning on ordering the kit to tune the carbs myself and was wondering if theres any tricks to getting those tubes in without having to almost unbolt all engine mounts to get in there. one thought I had was drilling a hole in the bars and maybe mounting some led running lights with those holes which would disguise the holes my main concern is structural integrity of the bars themselves if I did this..

I'm confused. Just where are you putting the tubes? Engine guards ( crash bars) should not be in the way at all.

The crash bars I have are in the way too. I believe the PO cut the tubes down to an amount small enough to squeeze in there. To drill them would require a pretty big hole and integrity would be compromised a little, but I think others have done that.

unless I'm looking at screwing those tubes in the wrong place (in which case I'm completely lost) those bars are in the way

Attachments

• 20140617_063357.jpg
    20140617_063357.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 146
  • 20140617_063437.jpg
    20140617_063437.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 145
+1 on removing for syncing the carbs, once you have them done you won't need to do it again for ages

My carbs where synced about 5 months back now . Give or take a few but as I was there helping/watching and since then watched the fantastic videos here I know they where not done correctly there close but can get better

the shop that worked on mine has 2 more 79's waiting to be worked on in the shop so went by and looked and both of those have different crash bars than mine and funny thing is 3 79's 3 different types of crash bars lol

When I did mine, I removed the rear guard bolt under the petcock area, and the upper bolt on the front. I loosened the bottom one and was able to rock the back of the guard up giving me enough access to put the tubes in. I thought of finding a metric 90 degree that might bolt in, and than just sealing the ports with a cap system like I do on the hyosung (yea first time on that I had to pull the radiator, not fun). But I was able to rock the guard forward by pulling the back and top bolt up front, and loosening the bottom ones. But yea mine are in the way too.

yea that was what was worrying me about drilling the holes .. I will work out another way into those two hopefully the rocking them forward idea will work with everything there