Turn signal confusion

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Believer45

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1962 Triuimph Bonneville (sold)
1975 BMW R90/6 (bought new, sold 20+ years later)
1985 GL1200 Interstate, LOVE this bike.
1985 GL1200I, 43K on the clock. When the weather is cold (30-45 degrees) my right turn signal will usually not work for 10-30 seconds after I activate the switch. It is a bit disconcerting, to say the least, when I try the turn signals, make my lane change without the turn signal and a half mile down the road my turn signal comes on. When ambient temperature is above 50 or so they work fine.

My first inclination is to disassemble the switch and clean all the contacts, lube with dielectric grease and put back together. My confusion is why would temperature have anything to do with this. Any ideas or input?

Dave / Believer45

I would bet on the switch being "gummy". If it is similar to the 1100 switch, the switching element is spring loaded from the actual button. If the grease in it is hard, the button will move only the pivot post against the spring(s), but not the terminal contacts themselves. With constant pressure, the contact will eventually slide over, and make the connection. I just went thru my t-sig switch this past weekend for a similar problem. :mrgreen:

I opened up a right control, with the start button and kill switch.
Surprising how solid that old grease gets.

I put back together without any grease.
No particular reason, just didn't put any in.

The lights do not come on at all until they start working properly so flasher is not an issue. It never happens to the left, only to the right. Occasionally when it does not work if I will, while sliding the switch to the right for the turn, put pressure up or down it may come on, may not. Thank you all for your replies - I am leaning toward hardened grease inside the switch, caked more on the side that operates the right turn. That fits perfectly with the temperature issue, grease would get thicker when cold. I don't know why that never occurred to me, thank you all again.

Dave / Believer45

Believer45":3b86sm9w said:
It never happens to the left, only to the right. Occasionally when it does not work if I will, while sliding the switch to the right for the turn, put pressure up or down it may come on, may not.

That's pretty much exactly how mine was working. My problem wound up being hard grease, and some wear in the plastic parts. Once cleaned, and everything adjusted for the wear, mine now "clicks" right into whichever position I turn it to.

OldWrench":3aaj0olf said:
Why use turn signals, its nobodies business what you are going to do.

True enough. Anyway three lefts makes a right, right? Well, except on the interstate.

Dave / Believer45

Latest posts