Turn Signal flasher

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecool

Reaction score
My turn signals only work occassionally so I checked the fuses, all good, cleaned the contacts on the switch but where's the flasher and can I use a standard automotive 552 flashers?

I think the flasher is underneath the shelter/fake tank, attached to the frame with a rubber band, for lack of a better description. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong... :beg:

The turn signal plug is special on the '83 Interstate so if you want to use a flasher other than a Honda original you'll have to cut the plug off or adapt it to spade terminals. The aftermarket auto type flasher can be either 2 or 3 wire.

GL 1100 Turn Flasher, Tridon Stant EP 28
Most auto parts stores have this one. Works with LED bulbs too.
Rather then cut the OEM connector off, I made short spade jumpers to connect.

Hi all
New member first post and first wing 83 gl1100a. Got it about two months ago sat for 5 years inside she looks sweet but needed lots of tlc. Ok the turn signals lol got it home put a charger on and went to see what worked. Well everything worked except fuel gauge and radio did not even try to start the motor. Bike sat outside most of the day in the 80s and sunny. Next day first thing inside cool 60s same things worked but signals would not flash and running lights went out when left or right signal was turned on then around midday outside sunny 80s signals and running lights worked fine. Well this went on like that and then after getting the motor running signals and running light would work after 10-15 min of motor running. Ok with my DVOM traced wires cleaned connectors that looked ok still same game. Then it came to me its a temp thing cool temp no signals or running lights warm temp everything works fine. Pulled flasher stuck in frig nothing works pull flasher put on hood of car to warm everything works repeated several times same result. went on ebay (bad move) bought one and it did the same thing. Replaced flasher with one from 86 VT500c plastic not metal outer case same 3 wire rectangular connector problem solved and even fits better (smaller size) under false tank with no cut harness or crimp connectors.

Welcome to the forums justwingenit.

Funny it's so sensitive to temperature.
Thanks for the tip, could come in handy one day.

I've had more than once a computer hard drive fail but able to pull all the important files off it by freezing it first.

Since the day I got it, my '83 Interstate front/left turn signal lamp didn't flash -- until this week!
My brother -- a long-time auto mechanic who also fiddles with cycles -- visited last month. When I mentioned it to him, he asked which bulb the manual called for (1034) and which bulb I was using (1157). He recommended changing to the original bulb, which may burn 'hotter', required for flashing. (By the way, I also changed to a new standard, 2-pronged, 'L'-shaped flasher unit purchased at AutoZone, which resembled the old one I took out.) I guess he was right (because the flasher was working on all the other three turn signals all along -- changing that was just lagniappe). Now it works.

oldhack62":plhtt4in said:
Since the day I got it, my '83 Interstate front/left turn signal lamp didn't flash -- until this week!
My brother -- a long-time auto mechanic who also fiddles with cycles -- visited last month. When I mentioned it to him, he asked which bulb the manual called for (1034) and which bulb I was using (1157). He recommended changing to the original bulb, which may burn 'hotter', required for flashing. (By the way, I also changed to a new standard, 2-pronged, 'L'-shaped flasher unit purchased at AutoZone, which resembled the old one I took out.) I guess he was right (because the flasher was working on all the other three turn signals all along -- changing that was just lagniappe). Now it works.

I learned a new word!! :yahoo:

la·gniappe (lnyp, ln-yp)
n. Chiefly Southern Louisiana & Mississippi
1. A small gift presented by a storeowner to a customer with the customer's purchase.
2. An extra or unexpected gift or benefit.

Still trying to figure out how it's pronounced :oops:

oldhack62":28ufq29t said:

My self cancel thingy has allways done it's own thing, sometimes it works somtimes it don't or so I thought. More recently discovered it works great if I ride on the wrong (right) side of the road, even my Harley's not that American :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Dave":1oaetei7 said:
oldhack62":1oaetei7 said:

My self cancel thingy has allways done it's own thing, sometimes it works somtimes it don't or so I thought. More recently discovered it works great if I ride on the wrong (right) side of the road, even my Harley's not that American :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
My self cancel ALWAYS works! (As long as I remember to turn off the turn signal!) :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

The '82 Standard did not have self cancelling (unless I do it my-SELF)

[/quote]The '82 Standard did not have self cancelling[/quote]

This may explain the problem :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :laptop: :read: :head bang: :rtfm: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
:thanks:

scdmarx":1h85lia8 said:
mcgovern61":1h85lia8 said:
The '82 Standard did not have self cancelling (unless I do it my-SELF)

Mine does. :?:
??? Oh, I forgot, my turn signal and left side controls were from the '81 parts bike. They never did self cancel. What year did Honda start with self canceling signals?

the 82 standard i just bought had self cancelling signals the first time it happen i didnt know what was going on ...but it finaly accured to me and made me happy it had it ....what a load off my pea brain :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

I love those self cancel.
They work great when coming out of a lean after turning whether I'm on the street leaning sharper from a left turn lane or leaning less when lane changing on the freeway.
They have a nice delay feature I've gotten very acustomed to using. When freeway lane changing they turn off about 5 seconds after completing the lane change. I'd miss them a lot if they ever stopped working.

Occasionally they will turn off too early. That's usually when signaling a lane change into a left turn lane they turn off after moving into the left turn lane when normally you'd want the blinker to stay on, just have to hit it again.